Honda Twins banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was seeing if anyone could help me trouble shoot my bike. It won't start and makes no click or anything. What steps should I take to see if the problem is electrical. I put in a new battery and spark plugs. I also replaced the ignition switch but nothing happened. A friend told me to check the solenoid but I'm running out of ideas. Any input would be aelwesome. Thanks

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Did you remove the seat and check the fuse?

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Has it ever started in your ownership? Do the lights, horn or any other electricals work?
Check your fuse. Check the harness connection under the tank. Post a photo of your battery set up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. I will check the fuse and post a picture this weekend when I get a chance to work on it again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It did start the first couple days I had it ( about a month ago) but nothing now. I don't have a voltometer

·
Registered
539 Posts
Buy a multi-meter - it will be invaluable and they're cheap. My money's on a blown fuse. A 60-cent fix if all goes well. While you're looking at that fuse check the panel as well for corrosion.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
As per doode in post #3, do ANY of your electrical devices currently function and it just won't crank? (Or it cranks, and just won't fire - or it'll crank and fire, but not well enough to start?)

Or... By "but nothing now," do you mean that the motorcycle is acting like you aren't even inserting and turning the ignition key?

Sorry if this is clear to everyone else - I'm kind of dense, lol.

Regards,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fuse makes sense. Nothing electrical works. When I kick it, it turns but won't roll over as hard as I try. It feels like I'm not even inserting the key in the ignition. Finally get to work on it tomorrow! I will take pictures after exploring all these option if it doesn't start. Thanks again all

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
When I kick it, it turns but won't roll over
Those two terms are generally considered to be the same. I think you mean it doesn't appear to be firing?

Regards,

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am obviously new to motorcycles. It was the fuse! Now the exhaust is getting really hot and is smoking where it comes out of the engine. Could it be the Carbs maybe or is it as simple as an oil change which I am going to do anyway

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's white smoke and it smells a bit funny. The exhaust is really hot to touch but nothing else on the bike is. It's just coming out of the right exhaust where it meets the engine. It gets worse when opening the throttle to rev the engine. I've been reading some of the other threads and figured it might be piston rings. Need to take off the exhaust to really check it out maybe clean it out? I appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Torque down the bolts that hold the exhaust on. Have try been removed within the last year? You might need new crush gaskets...
Lot of smoke or little smoke?
Post the info where you think it's piston rings.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let me step back a bit. I bought the bike a month ago. After I rode it for the first (and last) time it felt real wonky. It stalled at the top of hills and would putter a bit. The next day when I went to start it it wouldn't, so I took the spark plugs out figuring I flooded the engine or something. Once again I am new to this and I could be and probably was completely wrong. The right plug was oily and there were/are brown spots near the fat part of it. I replaced them. Haven't been able to start it because of the fuse, thanks again for the advice, until today and now it has a moderate amount of exhaust smoke. I saw someone else had problems with just one side of the exhaust pipe and similarly fouled spark plugs.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info.
Well, of you're getting puffs of exhaust coming from the space where the exhaust/engine meet, it *may* help to tighten the 2 nuts. If the collar bottoms out or you feel like the nuts will strip, then you can shell out the $8 or whatever for a set of crush gaskets. Super simple and should seal that area up.
If you're concerned there may be ring or valve issues, get a compression tester and post results, then go from there.
From what I understand, exhaust on startup could be valve, which is why I asked if it went away after warm.
There's a 'new to you' checklist that you should follow for this new to you bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts