Honda Twins banner

441 - 460 of 481 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,208 Posts
I should probably clean it out with mineral spirits then and start fresh with the new oil?
Nah, if you use the Tri Flow it'll wash the old oil out as it works it's way thru.
For the grease I'd just use a brush and wipe out as much as you can from the gears, they only need a surface film.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #443
Here are the videos I promised. There is actually a tiny delay on the first time I spin up the magnet on on the tacho too, but it's much less perceptible. Watch with sound on and you can hear how long the drill is running before the needle moves. After the first time, both work like butter, but if I leave it to sit a while, the behavior repeats.

Tacho

Speedo

·
Super Moderator
24,208 Posts
Yep, when I did my tach the spindle clean up fairly quick. The drive seemed to be going good until it bound up. Fresh oil and turning backwards cleared it and it got better quick, figure it was a tiny bit of debris that flushed out.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You might try soaking the needle bushing with a really good penetrating oil for a day or 2. Possibly there's just enough drag on the spindle to keep it from moving. When I did both my speedo and tach the drive side bushing felt fine and turn what I thought was easy enough. Then I sprayed both down while working the drive with an old cable end and both of them freed up a lot.
I used this stuff Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant Aerosol – Triflow Lubricants. Saw it mentioned on a speedo repair site.
Tri-Flow is great stuff. My boss in college introduced me to it. Love the stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #448
The Tri-Flow is on order from Amazon. It will only get here Wednesday because of pandemic-related shipping slowdowns, but I'm excited to try it out! I just got the standard aerosol can, not the precision applicator or foaming version. Hopefully it sorts out my lube issues.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #450 (Edited)
Got the tri flow and tried it out. By itself, it didn't work. So I poured a small amount of mineral spirits over the mechanism, then added tri flow, let it sit for a while, and it responds immediately.

However, I have a new concern...even though the needle responds immediately, it only goes to 20mph now whereas before it went up to 30mph or so (both using a drill).

Additionally, I have a second gauge I got from ebay and it also goes up to 30mph. Unfortunately, it's from a different year and the mechanism won't fit in the shell for my gauge.

Any ideas what's going on??

·
Super Moderator
24,208 Posts
There's buildup crud in the bushing area causing a bind. Try using canned air and blowing thru the bushing gap while turning the spindle back and forth, then flood it with Tri Flow and let it soak in for awhile. Keep repeating until it frees up.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #452
What I mean is that it moves TOO freely now. It used to have a slight resistance that let the needle fall smoothly but now it spins up very fast and falls very fast, to the point where it bounces when it hits the stopper. I think I washed away some important factory grease when I doused it in mineral spirits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
I love the way the tach responds on my 450, most cable tachs don't respond that quickly. You can see it after the boring 2 minute warmup...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #455
I love the way the tach responds on my 450, most cable tachs don't respond that quickly. You can see it after the boring 2 minute warmup...
That looks amazing, Tom. Are you trying to say you like me so much you want to pop those meters off your 450 and send them my way? 🤣🤣🤣

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
That looks amazing, Tom. Are you trying to say you like me so much you want to pop those meters off your 450 and send them my way? 🤣🤣🤣
I like you Mike... but not that much :ROFLMAO: the tach works great most of the time, the speedo not so much, wavers all over the place after a few miles. I've been in them already and didn't know the stuff LDR had done/posted back when I did them, so they're just going to live like that until I get more ambition/time/beer. They do LOOK nice though...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #457
I like you Mike... but not that much :ROFLMAO: the tach works great most of the time, the speedo not so much, wavers all over the place after a few miles. I've been in them already and didn't know the stuff LDR had done/posted back when I did them, so they're just going to live like that They do LOOK nice though...
Hmmm. I'm going to drop by a salvage yard tomorrow and go speedo hunting. Otherwise I have my eye on a decent-enough looking one on eBay. While LDR is right, the drill stops faster than I ever will (not including worst-case scenarios) I'm still concerned about what I may have done with the mineral spirit wash.

On my drill, the speedo initially spun up to 30 mph, and a 72' speedo I got on ebay for parts also spun up to 30mph.

After the mineral spirits, the needle sure is free from any stickiness...it spins effortlessly...but only up to 20mph. And on the way down, the cup bounces 3-4 times on the stopper.

So, even though the fast falling likely isn't an issue as LDR says, I'm still concerned about how it only gets up to 20mph now.

until I get more ambition/time/beer.
Preach. These things are a headache.

Sidenote: These guys are probably very expensive, but their work looks top notch.

4 into 1 also has some convincing reproductions, but only for 5:1 gauges, not 7:1.

PS: I could literally meditate to the burble of your bike, man.

·
Administrator
13,089 Posts
Sidenote: These guys are probably very expensive, but their work looks top notch.
LDR has already mentioned he was very disappointed in what he got from them, IIRC

PS: I could literally meditate to the burble of your bike, man.
Dude, I know the feeling. After I uploaded that video, and the 92 mile ride video as well, I was listening to it in the garage and the house for days... my wife thought I was nuts (well...) but I love the sound of that engine... especially at 10,500 to 11,000 (y)

441 - 460 of 481 Posts