Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm a long time lurker, new poster. I can usually find the answers I need by searching but couldn't for this particular issue.

I'm working on a 1973 CL350 front forks.

The problem I'm running into is that the forks that are on the bike don't match the Honda shop manual.

They do match the parts diagram for the year and model-
honda-cl350-scrambler-1973-k5gif.jpg

How much fork oil should I use in a full rebuild? My concern is that since they don't match the shop manual, the 200cc listed may no be right? I see other places on internet that list 165cc-

Thanks

·
Registered
826 Posts
CL350 K5 is listed as 105 to 110 cc for drain/refill. For dry fill it is 125 to 130 cc Info is from the FSM.
This is the same for all the internal spring forks on the CB/CL models.

You must be looking at the info for early forks that have external springs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CL350 K5 is listed as 105 to 110 cc for drain/refill. For dry fill it is 125 to 130 cc Info is from the FSM.
This is the same for all the internal spring forks on the CB/CL models.

You must be looking at the info for early forks that have external springs.
Thanks for the quick reply. I can get another task completed today.
dw

·
Registered
4 Posts
Newbie too! I have an issue with my 70 350CL forks topping out with a clunk every time I hit an uneven surface. it sounds like a metal to metal clunk... very unpleasant on a nice ride. happens on pavement as well as dirt. I will be disassembling the forks soon... and will see whats up but would like a little advice on what to look for. Thank you for your input!

·
Registered
826 Posts
The 1970 forks are much different from the forks discussed here.

Yours have external springs and much different internals. When ordering seals be sure you get the correct ones for your forks.

Look for wear on the guide bushings, do not remove the circlips holding them in place unless you have replacements as they stretch and deform easily, nothing to be gained by removing them.

I have found that upgrading from the ATF specification to actual fork oil is worth the money. Today's ATF is all over the map viscosity wise. The proper amount of oil to use is listed in the Factory Service Manual, you can download a copy from on this site from the appropriate section.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
The only time I've seen that happen is when someone heavily pre-loaded the springs (or installed springs that were too stiff), or when there's very little oil in the forks. Are you sure it's the forks topping out and not loose steering stem bearings?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts