Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1973 CB450K6. I purchased it new in college (UW). Less than 1 mile on the odometer. I took it apart and had the cylinders honed in the late ‘70’s at the instigation of my bro-in-law who had taken a bike repair course thru the military. I rode it until 1994 (23689 miles) and knew I had an oil problem on the left cylinder (found to be no oil to the left intake cam, I think I missed a seal in the rebuild) so, since I had a1981 CB650 Custom to ride I would tear the bike down to the frame, clean up the rust and repaint with derusto. I tore the engine apart completely, had it rebored, bought new pistons and rings all for only $365. Put it back together until I needed gaskets to mount the cylinders. Then I left it sit in the barn gathering dirt until I bought a house and moved all the parts into a bench in my new garage (1997). That brings us to August 2019. With social distancing and being retired I was a bit bored and remembered I had a project. I pulled out the boxes and started to clean parts. I tore the engine apart to clean it and am reassembling it. I scraped rust from the frame and painted it again. I used aluminum foil and salt water to remove rust spots from the chrome fenders and other chrome parts. Hard on the finger tips. I soaked rusty parts in citric acid and brushed a lot of rust away. I found the front caliper and master brake cylinder were so corroded they could not be saved, so went on ebay and picked up replacements. I’m not going for original parts. It could cost more than 4 times the original $1600 the bike cost me new to purchase and I just want it ready for the street. I am now waiting for an o-ring for the oil pump so I can continue the engine assembly. Also I sent off the intake cam and the followers to be rebuilt and ground. They say 1 ½ to 2 ½ months to get those back. I just realized that some parts are missing. (Imagine that.) I can’t find the spark plugs, ordered new. Can’t locate the tachometer pinion, ordered used. Looks good in the picture. Same with the missing solenoid. I’m sure there will be more. The part schematics online are good for identifying parts, but here is where my problem lies. The Honda CB450 engine rebuild on youtube is really great. It shows the engine going together piece by piece. I know I will have no problem putting the engine back together. But guys, it’s been over 20 years since I tore this bike apart I don’t remember much of anything any more. Hooking the main harness to all the individual wasn’t too hard to figure out since the wires are color coded. I even realized the solenoid was missing because I had 2 wires with nothing to connect to. Other than finding good places to get parts I really would like a video showing the parts being attached to the frame, like where does the battery ground to the frame. Just some good diagrams showing where the power and ground cables go. Without a guide I will probably figure it out, but it may not be as neat as the original. Thanks to all for taking notice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Howdy Duane!

I may be able to help you, if you run into any questions about reassembling your bike. I'm in the process of reassembling my own 450 now. Unlike you, I only disassembled mine recently, so the way it all fits together is fresher in my head.

Feel free to ask if any puzzles arise!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cowboy- I added a picture, a montage of what I have going on. I work on the head, the lower case, the carbs, or the frame, whatever the parts I order come in for. I work on it until I need more parts and move to another area. I am pretty much done with what I have and need to wait 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 months for my reground intake cam and rocker arms to get back. Mostly have been polishing the case covers recently. Today I installed the headlamp and it works as well as the starter button. I just got a used starter relay for a K7 (mine K6) and the parts lists both show them being the same, but it has an extra power lead and the cable to the pos battery terminal is too long. What year is your 450?
My Post (1).jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts