Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1973 CB450 K6, she was an alley cat I picked up for free. Not running, no title, rust from top to bottom but it was all there and free. Motor had timing issues with bent valves and the usual carb issues from setting around for years but it only had 9K miles on it.
Once it was running, I started tearing it apart and powder coating almost everything that would take the oven heat. I even coated the spokes. I traded some work for the awesome paint job and a few polished parts and this bike came together.
I'm taking it to a bike show this weekend and then she goes on ebay. Now I'm looking for my next project and I'm thinking an RD350, always wanted to ride a 2 stroke street bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
Now that is a nice lookin bike! Nice work man, and welcome aboard. :D

GB :mrgreen:
Thanks, I've been a lurker for a bit. Websites like this really contributed to a much easier rebuild on this bike.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Nicely done, very austere and sleek.....love the color.

Did you ever get a title??
What's your location??
Is there a battery somewhere, is it a total loss system or did you retain the charging stuff?

I bet it's louder than [email protected]#$ with those shorties, yeah? Did you have to rejet because of muffler or air cleaner changes??

I end up painting a lot of parts too - I'm too cheap to re-chrome, too lazy to polish.....

Incidentally, the clutch cable should run inside the left carb on a 450.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tbpmusic said:
Nicely done, very austere and sleek.....love the color.
Thank you, I appreciate all the positive comments.
Did you ever get a title?? I did get a clean and clear Ohio title which takes a little doing, including suing the clerk of courts but it's done and includes original mileage.
What's your location?? I'm located in Eaton, OH which is just west of Dayton, OH on the Indiana/Ohio border.
Is there a battery somewhere, is it a total loss system or did you retain the charging stuff? The battery is located in the bump stop of the fiberglass tail. It's a small (very small) power sports battery, that will still crank it over but drains the battery extremely fast. Luckily she's a 1-3 kicker depending on the choke position and temperature so I've only pushed the button a few times just to see if it would work. It makes me feel cool to kick start a bike.

I bet it's louder than [email protected]#$ with those shorties, yeah? Did you have to rejet because of muffler or air cleaner changes??
Still running stock jets, but I suspect it needs something a little larger. I truly haven't put more than 10 miles on it because it's not tagged or insured. It is real loud, but a good kinda loud, much like a hot rod or race car. You may have to cover your ears but you're smiling the whole time.

I end up painting a lot of parts too - I'm too cheap to re-chrome, too lazy to polish.....

Incidentally, the clutch cable should run inside the left carb on a 450.....Now why'd ya have to go and tell me that. I won't sleep till it's fixed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gs1327 said:
Clean looking bike, awesome job.
Thanks, it was a labor of love. I always had an interest in the cafe style bike and the 450 was a great set of bones to build on. Your drag bike avatar hits home for me, you might recognize my best customer McIntosh Swingarms. Talk about first class fabricating their stuff is unbelievable. The side mount license plate bracket on my 450 is a McIntosh piece.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Yep, Mcintosh does first rate work. He did the swingarm on my ZX11 dragbike
and my previous GS1100 dragbike. The avator is a pic from Rickey Gadsons
streetbike drag race school a few years ago, riding one of the School bikes. My usual street ride is a similar ZX14
but stock wheelbase.
ZX11 bracket bike:

Old suzuki dragbike:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those drag bikes are incredible! My buddies and I took a ride to Indy earlier this month to O'Reily Race Park for the bike drags. I was real surprised to see everything that was being run from vintage to brand new. Good times at the drag strip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
tbpmusic said:
hey where did you get the short muffs from on that 450?

They look like regular ol' Shorties, available all over the place.......
Yep, nothing special about em. They are a universal muff, one end is 1 1/2" and the other is 1 3/4". I found them on Ebay under short muffler. No real baffling so they are kinda loud, but that's kinda good in my book. I think they really helped with the cafe look I was chasing.
The bike is on Ebay ending tonight. I don't know what these things sold for new but this one might go for more than the original MSRP.
Ebay Item # 370258081231

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
mjwash said:
tbpmusic said:
hey where did you get the short muffs from on that 450?

They look like regular ol' Shorties, available all over the place.......
Yep, nothing special about em. They are a universal muff, one end is 1 1/2" and the other is 1 3/4". I found them on Ebay under short muffler. No real baffling so they are kinda loud, but that's kinda good in my book. I think they really helped with the cafe look I was chasing.
The bike is on Ebay ending tonight. I don't know what these things sold for new but this one might go for more than the original MSRP.
Ebay Item # 370258081231
I bought a pair of K2's in 1970 for about $800 each.
So a K6 probably went for around $1,000 maybe - just a guess..........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts