Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of tearing down a 1973 CB450 as part of a rebuild. I'm down to the head so far, but I wanted to ask before I forget - there are some crumbling rubber bits on the camshaft.

There seems to be a groove for some kind of gasket on either side of the chain teeth for both shafts. Only one of these grooves had something in it and I've been finding rubber bits in the valve cover/chain area. I assume this is meant to be some kind of chain vibration damper, something. I've gotten parts from Common Motor Collective before, but they don't seem to have a replacement part. Does anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Probably the cam chain damper rings; known to disintegrate and leave bits around. That would be #3 on the fiche.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getting ready to crack the crank case. What do ya'll recommend in terms of cleaning methods for all the parts once it's fully apart? I have access to a recirculating parts cleaner at school, but I figured I would ask if anyone has any other recommendations.

There are two different kinds of gunk I'm trying to clean:

1) Sludgy external road gunk
2)Carbon build-up on pistons, valves, head, etc.

Conversely, is there any methods or products you would stay away from because it could damage sensitive materials? Yes I will be removing oil seals, rubber, bearings, etc.

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts