Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all - new to this sub and currently in the process of replacing and repainting my gas tank for a CB350. Newbie here: bought the 350 about a year and a half ago - enjoying the rides, but realizing it needs some work. Now's the time to toy with the electrical, fix the muffler (cracked) and replace the old tank for one that is in better shape.

I've already stripped the paint and primed it, however, am I overthinking the painting process? I talked to a local automotive paint supply employee and he educated me on two-part, activated spray cans. I don't have a spray gun, so with a can or two, "spray and pray" was the plan. What he also suggested, however, was for me to look into a sealer at the tank lip on the neck so that the gasoline, when filling, won't creep under the paint line and ruin the paint job.

I tried to search through the forum and didn't find much discussion at that point. Am I overthinking about having an issue at the end of my paint near the neck of the tank? Are there suggestions on what to do? I don't want to blindly do this project only to realize after a fill up or swoosh of gasoline to the lip will it ruin the paint job.

I ran over to an auto refinishing place the other day to ask the same questions and he mentioned I shouldn't care about that simply don't fill up the tank entirely to avoid any issues. Suggestions?

Thanks for your advice in advance!

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Don't fill the tank to the brim, especially if your cap leaks a little. When the paint has cured enough to wax it, use some premium (expensive) carnauba wax on the tank, making sure it covers that interface between the top of the tank and the filler neck. The stuff is great for protecting paint from gas spills as long as you don't leave the gas on it for an extended time. Refresh the wax every month or two and your tank will look good.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When i did mine i used rattle cans for the color. I just sprayed about 1/4 in up the filler neck. When i cleared it with Spraymax 2k i went a little higher up the neck thus sealing it. Spraymax is highly resistant to gasoline. No problem so far.

Reactions: Alan F.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts