Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a frame, that I want to hard tail for a bobber style.

Is there anyone who has done this to a SL350 frame?

If so, which hard tail did you use, or did you fabricate your own?

Can you post some pix?

I may start a build thread.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
The pressings on stock frame make it difficult to modify for hardtail without it looking like s*ite, new custom frame will be easier and cheaper in the long run as really you need to replace front section as well as rear. It will need 4"~6" longer wheelbase to look 'right'

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the SL350 frame, it has an all tubular frame.

Except for the engine mount.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
Shame to chop up a good SL frame, you could probably sell it with title to offset some of the cost of a custom frame,
Bare frame is worth a minimum of $200.00 plus shipping

Reactions: oupa

·
Registered
633 Posts
Ouch. Another one bites the dust., The SL 350 was a dirt bike not a street bike. Don’t cut it boy., please!

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I'll second not chopping up that frame.

It has also been my experience that most people who built hardtails usually end up selling them soon after because

1. They realized how painful and dangerous riding a hardtail really is.
2. They realized they bit off more than they could chew in the build and give up.

Keep in mind rigid frames were originally designed for the drag strips and not for street use.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I have been having second thoughts.

The problem is, I have nothing. But, I do want to go the street and trail route now.

So, if anyone has or know of peeps who have front fenders, front wheel, and other parts to get this thing going there, let me know.

I will have to go with the CB engine, just ordered a .50mm set of pistons, so, very little money to support this build.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
If your not doing 'heavy duty' trail riding just use the 18" wheel.(or is that one 19"?)

·
Registered
186 Posts
I believe you may have a problem using a cb engine in that frame, not sure if the starter will interfere with it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Already has a CL engine in it.

Seems ok.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
Already has a CL engine in it.

Seems ok.
from the pics I see half of a CB/CL engine with just the rear motor mounts attached. the front right motor mount is different than the SL so you'll need to fabricate the lower motor mounts. you'll also need to figure out chain alignment since the SL motor has an offset countershaft that is about 4 or 5 mm farther out than the CB/CL motor. if your objective is a low budget build, plan on doing a good bit of fabrication...correct SL parts are expensive...better off selling the SL bits and buying a CB/CL...

are the wheels CB or CL? looks like the rear may not be an SL rear.

the starter motor is off the engine because it won't fit the SL frame...you'll need to block off the opening for the starter motor to prevent dirt getting into the motor.

putting the CB/CL motor into the SL frame has been done before. racers will do it to get the better gear ratios of the cb/cl transmission combined with the stiffer SL frame for roadracing. it does require some effort though and is usually not an inexpensive task.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
from the pics I see half of a CB/CL engine with just the rear motor mounts attached. the front right motor mount is different than the SL so you'll need to fabricate the lower motor mounts. you'll also need to figure out chain alignment since the SL motor has an offset countershaft that is about 4 or 5 mm farther out than the CB/CL motor. if your objective is a low budget build, plan on doing a good bit of fabrication...correct SL parts are expensive...better off selling the SL bits and buying a CB/CL...

are the wheels CB or CL? looks like the rear may not be an SL rear.

the starter motor is off the engine because it won't fit the SL frame...you'll need to block off the opening for the starter motor to prevent dirt getting into the motor.

putting the CB/CL motor into the SL frame has been done before. racers will do it to get the better gear ratios of the cb/cl transmission combined with the stiffer SL frame for roadracing. it does require some effort though and is usually not an inexpensive task.

Exactly,..!!!!!!......work in progress.

All of those points are being taken into consideration.

As stated, "low budget and first timer too"., so expectation of snags is in the plan.

Appreciate the concern and info.

Yep, am looking into mounts and possible kick only option.

Won't be an issues as long as I get the engine right.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Also the front forks do not appear to be stock sl350 k2 forks, looks like they will have to be rebuilt so you will have to find out what they are off for parts. I can't tell you what they are from but possibly outobie or another member can help out. I would also say you would probably have fewer problems finding a used sl350 k1 or k2 engine and rebuilding it, probably be a much more enjoyable build.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Probably not the best picture to show.

Yes, those forks are from a CB500, the wheel is from a CB175, the rear wheel was with the frame when I bought it.

The tank is from my CB100.

The half engine is in fact a CL350, but I'm rebuilding a CB350. If it fits with the starter, so be it, if not, well that's okay too.

At first a hard tail was being considered, (and still is) but putting it close to what it was originally has been tabled too.

I was just looking for a little help from anyone who may have gone whatever route with one of these, and the pit falls, if any, they encountered.

And what they did to overcome them.

Thanks for all the comments, keeps them coming.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
you won't get the electric starter to work without cutting out the frame...run it kick only. the SL battery box won't hold a batter large enough to spin the starter unless you get an expensive lithium battery, then you'll also need to upgrade the charging system a bit to keep...just keep it kick only

cb motor is better for a streetbike sl motor is better for trail riding (gearing and torque curve) CB motor is much much easier and less expensive to get parts for. plug the starter motor opening on the motor with a blockoff plate (fabrication required)
fabricate a right front lower motor mount
fabricate proper spacers for your rear wheel to get correct chain alignment (this may include a combination of off setting the wheel center with the spokes, spacing the axle in/out/spacing the front or rear sprocket in/out.

otherwise it's not a big deal.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts