Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi im new to these forums and just picked up a 1972 honda cl350 scrambler for a whopping $50, but have a few questions

ok i whent out to work on it tis evening and ii took the points cover off and kicked it over and nothing moved. i looked down the oil filler at thee flywheel and kicked it over and it didnt move...it was stored for 15 years in a shop without a sparkplug...could the motorr be seized or is something else goin on??? and i fot the aircleaner off on the right side and moved thee throttle and the plunnger inside didnt move but the stuff on the outside did why is this and how could i get it unstuck??? and final on the left side where thee exhaust is i was tryin too get the air cleaner out but the exhaaust was in the way...is there any way to get this out without taking off the exhaust??? and where could i find a manual for this 11972 honda cl350 scrambler???

Attachments

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Does it sound like the pistons are actually moving when you kick it over? Look into the sparkplug hole while kicking it over. Does the kicker seem like it has the correct amount of resistance to it?

Could be a broken timing chain.

As for the oil filler, you mean where you actually put oil in? What you're seeing in there would be the clutch I believe...

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Chances are that the kicker isn't engaging then, or the cam chain is broken and by some miracle it's not catching on anything..?

Hopefully someone with more specific knowledge on that model of bike will come along with suggestions shortly...

Try shining a flashlight into the sparkplug hole while using the kicker by hand. See if the piston/s move...

Clutch problem guys??? :idea: :?: :?:

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i got to take the exhaust off ttomrrow to cleaan the air cleaners so while im at it ill liik inside the exhaust

·
Registered
439 Posts
are the spark plugs out? you can quickly verify the pistons move by shining a light down the plug hole and watch for the top of the piston as you kicker the engine over. Or take a LONG pencil or dowel and stick that in the hole... I'll assume that, if it this moves, then your piston is moving. If not, then take off the left side alternator cover (oil will spill out so be on the ready with pan) and put a good box-end wrench on the nut there... I am unsure of the size this early morning. this screws into the end of the crankshaft, so will turn the crankshaft, rods, pistons, timing chain, etal... If you can turn the engine over by hand, the pistons are free.

Once you verify your kicker is disengaged/broken/wonky, then someone here can walk you thru a kicker repair. haven't done a kicker in awhile, but i dont remember the process being overly difficult. keep in touch, danWI

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok right now the motor is my last on my worries the tranny might be blown ill try rocking it back and forth tonight and shifting it and if not he tranny is blown and ill probly sell it

·
Registered
439 Posts
how did you decide the "tranny is blown"? have you tried turning the rear wheel and shifting from neutral to 2nd? this is the easiest shift for these 5-speed trannys. if selling, where the bike located? dan in WI

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i couldnt get it to shift and my uncle said it was probly blown but its not the clutch is just stuck open...but it will shift now my dad got it to

·
Registered
36 Posts
If your clutch is somehow stuck in the disengaged position (not sure how that would happen), that might explain the kickstarter not turning the motor over. If its like my 360, the kickstart shaft works through the clutch, pull the clutch lever and the kickstarter just freewheels.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
actually it was stuck in the engaged posotion...where the clutch calble connects to a rod that gowes through the motor and attatched to the clutch...that rd was bent.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts