Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, yet another noob here to gain the knowledge from all those willing to give it. PLEASE...!! Help! I am at my minds end. I am trying to restore/convert my fathers 72 Cl350 (it has 1900 miles on it and has not run since 73). I was hoping to make it into a nice cafe racer but I can not even it out of the garage. I have replaced the piston rings, had new valves installed and replaced all the older rusty parts on the carbs with nicer clean ones. my problem so far is in the engine (top half) assembly. I rotate the engine so that the LT marker matches the timing mark (like clymers tells me to), which also makes the pin on the cam rod point up, and also the cam sproket has it's L pointing up as well. Ok, so when I try to do my points gap and engine timing I am killing myself trying to get the left point to open when I turn the engine around to the LF marker on the comprssion stroke. It seems to be opening too early and I just can't seem to get it. All the car guys I've talked to (just because I don't know many bike guys) seem to think I am 180 out. But, how do I fix that, man I am just really confused. Anyone willing to tackle this question will forever be my Hero. Thanks, for any input in advance and also thanks for having me. I'll put up a before and as it stands today pic thanks again.
:D

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have found that section which was a very big help. My fear is that I think I might have assembled the advance 180 since it seems to open when I want it closed and opens when it should close. So.. I guess I'll just keep rotating the sleeve until it appears to align right. Should the timing be this hard or is it just me??? Geezzz. Thanks, for the reply so soon. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
R_O_M173 said:
Thanks, I have found that section which was a very big help. My fear is that I think I might have assembled the advance 180 since it seems to open when I want it closed and opens when it should close. So.. I guess I'll just keep rotating the sleeve until it appears to align right. Should the timing be this hard or is it just me??? Geezzz. Thanks, for the reply so soon. :mrgreen:
OK - if you're positive that you're on compression stroke, then the advancer might just be 180 off.
You should not have to rotate the point plate too far from the center position to get the left timing set.
The eccentric advancer outer sleeve comes off easily with wiggling and gentle pressure - you'll see how it works.
You do have to take the point plate off first........

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I believe now I have the advance setup correctly. Now here is my trouble. I first gap both points to .012 and now start to set the ignition timing. It seems that the circuit test light goes on (on the left side) way too early almost 180 from where it needs to be. So, I turn the points plate left and right to see if the light goes off and it doesn’t. The light remains on no matter which way I turn the plate. So now I start to close the gap on the left side so as to slow down when that point opens and the light goes on. Now, I have it a little closer but the light still comes on about a ¼ a turn early. I continue to turn the engine and it seems that the light sporadically turns on and off before the LF mark ever reaches the timing mark. How do I get this under control??? Does anyone have any ideas?? Thank you all once again. :D

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Are you SURE you are gapping the points with each follower touching the breaker cam, and at its widest opening point during the breaker cam's rotation? (P.S. Try starting mid-range at about .014, .012 is the minimum)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK everyone, I think I just had a Huge Duh moment. After beating myself up (again) over these points and timing, I just by chance moved my circuit tester light from the engine and moved it to the handle bars (because it kept falling off the engine); and EUREKA!! The light finally stays on and I finally got the left point pretty close to where it needs to be. So, since it started getting to dark I will continue tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for the info and I will update tomorrow. :D :D :mrgreen: :D :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, this is where I am now. I got the left point pretty much dead on and was working on the right side, to where I thought it was all right. Then, that's when my troubles started again. I checked the gaps after timing and they were way below standard they were like .002 vs. .014 like the Clymers book suggest. So I gaped them to spec again and now I'm back to where I started. When I turn the engine the light comes on way to early and no matter how much I turn the points plate it will not turn the light off. Is there a max to the degree that, that plate can turn, it is almost horizontal and it still doesn't delay the timing enough. ANY Thoughts????? Anyone??? :( :(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey all, Thanks to everyone for the advice. I finally gave up and found someone that gave life to this poor lost machine. I tried to hide my ear to ear smile when I heard that engine run for the first time since 1972. So now, I have him finishing the carbs and am looking to get on the road a few times before winter. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thanks....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts