Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it’s not a twin but these little bikes are my first love as a kid. This 1972 Honda CL100 was in parts and pieces in boxes when I purchased in North Carolina about a year ago. The previous owner had painted the frame but had CB100 tank and front end on it. The rest in boxes. I started trying to bring her back to life last spring and wanted to share if anyone loves these little Hondas like I do!

Attachments

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The engine was a mess. Someone had obviously been inside as evidenced by liquid gasket material. The kick start was welded to the kick shaft!!!! You can see the end of the shaft where I had to cut it off to get the right side clutch case off. Not sure why someone would repair it by welding ??

· Registered
13,023 Posts
Not sure why someone would repair it by welding ??
Lazy is why... they could have drilled the shaft and lever and used a bolt through it so it could have been taken apart more easily in the future, but they didn't - and of course, the right way to do it would be a proper replacement. The red RTV on the gaskets tells you a lot about the PO

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lazy is why... they could have drilled the shaft and lever and used a bolt through it so it could have been taken apart more easily in the future, but they didn't - and of course, the right way to do it would be a proper replacement. The red RTV on the gaskets tells you a lot about the PO
I agree with you!!!! My Father always taught that "there is a right way and wrong way to do things"......"anything worth doing should be done right"!!!

I actually kept the kick start lever and it stays in a window to remind me not to be stupid.

· Registered
166 Posts
Watching too many episodes of "Welder up" can do that to a PO.

Not sure why someone would repair it by welding ??
You have a couple of nice looking projects there and some mechanical issues for sure. I have a buddy with the same kit starter issue less the welding. Shaft replacement is the only way to go for sure.

· Registered
497 Posts
I like these little bikes. Had an issue with the kicker too, tried the drill and bolt, didn't work.

Was told by several to tack weld, and when needed to pull the cover to clean the oil filter, just grind it and reweld.

I'm not a welder and have no friends that weld.

So smart thing to do was, tear it down and replace the shaft, so, that's what I did and don't regret it, one bit.

Mine started as a 50 dollar basket case and after 7 years it's finally going good enough to romp around the yard.

Haven't got it good enough, to put on the road, I think.

Good luck with yours, will be following.

· Registered
13,023 Posts
It all begins when POs allow the kickstart lever to get too loose on the shaft due to not checking the pinch bolt tightness regularly. On small bikes that are kickstart only, particularly ones that aren't maintained well and are harder to start, it will get loose more often and will eventually strip the splines if not kept tight

· Registered
1,976 Posts
There is a local small Honda club about 30 miles from were I live. Iv rebuilt about a dozen of these small Honda singles both push rod and overhead cam models.The valves,kick starter and " auto clutch " seem to be the weak points but they are great little motors.

Bill

· Registered
497 Posts
I really never thought about doing anything but replacement.

Problem I ran into was, whether to buy new or used.

I did end up buying a used one from a member that had a bunch of parts I needed for mine.

But, my suggestion to the op is do your home work and probably go with new.

· Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really never thought about doing anything but replacement.

Problem I ran into was, whether to buy new or used.

I did end up buying a used one from a member that had a bunch of parts I needed for mine.

But, my suggestion to the op is do your home work and probably go with new.
budlite282 thanks for the advice. My local Honda shop actually had a new kick start shaft in their old NOS parts!!! I couldn't believe it. They actually laughed and said "well we haven't sold one of these in years" he gave me a very reasonable price to get rid of it i think. :)

· Registered
497 Posts
budlite282 thanks for the advice. My local Honda shop actually had a new kick start shaft in their old NOS parts!!! I couldn't believe it. They actually laughed and said "well we haven't sold one of these in years" he gave me a very reasonable price to get rid of it i think. :)
Cool................how bout some pics of the little monster?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts