Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been building my bike for the past year now and I finally got to the point where I can try to start it up. Bottom line: There is no spark. I grabbed my multimeter, did a few searches on the web to see what my coils should read, and pretty evident that my coils are shot. I connect my multimeter terminals to the "pig tails" of my coils and get a reading of 9.5 ohms when I should see somewhere around 3. I also check the other coil by taking one of the terminals and connecting it inside a spark plug, and I get no read whatsoever. My problem right now is getting the right coils. I have diligently worked on my bike for the past year, not taking any shortcuts. I'm willing to get dynatek coils but I'm not sure what model. My manual doesn't say anything about specifics on my coils, and through my searches, I only see vague answers. This is what I'm looking at buying, but do I need the whole package?

Dyna s Electronic Ignition Coils Wires Honda CB350 CB400 350 400 72 73 74 75 76 | eBay

Any pointers will be rad. Thanks!

Multimeter Test:
photo.JPG

Here is my bike: 1972 Honda CB350 Twin
View attachment Ma Bike.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
Nice looking Cafe Job.

A couple of things to know here.

1 - You posted this in the Smaller 125 - 200 Twins section but are working on a 350 Twin.
You'll get a lot more responses and help if it's in the right section of the forum. Maybe one of the moderators will move it for you.

2 - What is the ignition system you have - NOW ?
Is it the stock Points & Condenser System or have you already made modifications.

Is your Battery Fully Charged?
These are Battery Fired Ignitions if you have the original Stock components. They require at least 12.75 Min.

Without knowing what you currently have we can't help trouble shoot.

More information about how you checked for SPARK is needed. There are some very specific ways to check and they vary by what you have.

Be Careful about leaving POWER to the COILS on these bikes as they WILL BURN UP / MELT DOWN.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yendor!
Thanks for responding. I believe that when I came in from my garage, I was so worked up with the bike, that I just posted in the wrong section. My bad. Thanks for finding it though.

So as far as spark goes:
There was no spark, so I pulled a spark plug out, and tried starting it. I saw no spark, not even a slight glimpse of spark. I checked the other, and same thing. Now I know this doesn't mean that I'm S.O.L., so I grabbed my spark plug tester and hooked it up to each side to see if there was even a weak spark: nothing.

When going through this bike, I made the good/bad idea to rip the old wire harness out. and I put this guy in:
Harness - Builder Kit - C5 Performance
Now, I know this might not provide much info, but trying to give as much info as I can on my upgrades and things I switched out.

Right now: the ignintion system and condenser are stock. But my battery is fully charged, in fact I put in a: Ballistics 8 cell EVO 2 battery in, and it currently reads: 12.75-12.9 on my meter.

Last night, I pulled my coils off, and I'm not much of a mechanic, but they don't look that great. (picture below) In fact, when I did pull them off one of the black with white tracer wires literally corroded itself off. It MAY have been like this when I was testing my coils, or it came off in the process of me taking my coils out. Either way, that specific wire, along with a few others didn't look great. Check out the pictures below and tell me what you think. And let me know if there is anything else I can provide info on!

Coils: View attachment 43334

Close up of disconnected wire from Coil:
View attachment 43335

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
Your pic's of the coils & Wire don't show up for me. Check the Post about inserting Pic's to be sure you are doing it right and have a valid Pic format.

Anyway the Black/White wire is the HOT Side of the Primary for the coils That's the wire that supplies power If that connection needs to be fixed 1st before you can move on.

These guys have Factory Type connectors and the BEST Crimper ever made for them. Highly recommended for any electrical work on these bikes.

PS: the 350's use the 3.5 mm not the 4.0 they are very close but are not really interchangeable.

OEM-Type Bullet & Spade Electrical Connectors for 1960's through 1970's Japanese Vehicles... Bridgestone, Datsun, Hodaka, Honda, Kawasaki, Landcruiser, Suzuki, Tohatsu, VW, & Yamaha

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yendor, thanks for that link. There are a few things I needed as far as wiring goes that I have been looking for that these guys have. I don't know why, but if you clikc on the photo // link it opens it up. Maybe I made them too big? I was finally able to get spark. I put new coils on and wired everything in correctly. Thanks for the advice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts