Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I’ll be fixing up my 1972 CL350 and wanted a place to document the process and to ask question, so here I am!

A little history about the bike. It belonged to my uncle’s uncle. Later my uncle got the bike, where it sat for years. About 8 years ago my uncle and I decided to get it running, which we did, for 18 miles. When a bolt on the cam gear came loose and he heard a “tink”. Ended up snapping the cam chain and bending an exhaust valve. SO it’s been sitting, once again, for the last 7 years until NOW!

I’ve spent a lot of time trying to figure out a game plan and I think I know what I want to do now. At first I was going to run a custom tank and was going to use cognito’s conversion hub and get a GSXR front end and all that but I didn’t want to put THAT much money into this bike. NOW I think I’m going to keep my stock CL tank and front end. The front end was replaced somewhere down the line with something from a 450, I THINK. The fork tubes are 35mm so I don’t think it came from a 350. So I plan to get new tubes for them and use race techs emulators to fix them up a bit. Black aluminum rims with new spokes. New master cylinder, SS brake lines and new pads. Unless someone has a better suggestion.
Don’t know what Im doing with the controls/gauges yet but ill get modern replacements. I like the bar end turn signals I’m seeing. MIGHT get the moto gadet M unit but those are a bit pricey… so we’ll see how the build goes. I am going to get a “cafe” seat and ill stick the battery and electronics in there. Definitely will be switching to electronic ignition and a new regulator/rectifier. I think Im going to try and use the LED strip brake light/turn signals but how I want to mount my seat I won’t be able to see the rear frame hoop. So I might notch the back of the fiberglass seat.
Probably will keep the stock CV carbs.
I don’t think ill be doing much to the engine. Cams are EXPENSIVE for these bikes! I think I'll use the KA slipper cam chain tensioner. Maybe some valve work? I don’t know yet.
I would like to try and make the CL exhaust work with new mufflers. Man that thing is a boat anchor!!!
Rear shocks maybe Hagon? Unless I win the lotto for something nicer.
Might get a 520 conversion chain set up, which seem to be about the same price as a 530.
Well thats my game plan as of now! Im sure lots will change along the way… time to get to work.

Taking it all apart I think it's amazing how heavy everything is...it's like the engineers wanted it to be heavy. "We need to hold this tiny wire. Let's build a 2lb steel bracket for it!"
Before and current state:
177180_10151079730641075_203983323_o.jpg
IMG_4399.jpg
IMG_3759.jpg
Barf!
IMG_4400.jpg

The mystery front end!
IMG_3764.jpg
IMG_3767.jpg
IMG_3769.jpg
IMG_3771.jpg
IMG_3774.jpg

General shape inspo
IMG_4380.jpg

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I'm going to guess that the front end is from a CB350F, possibly a CB350G or CB450G. All of the CL's were drum front brake and 33mm forks, all the CB350's were the same except for the G model.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Oh I forgot to add, it does have a 19" front wheel.
So it appears the frame is bent... might explain the "new" front end... :(

Does anyone have any experience buying from these guys?:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB45...:CB450&hash=item4669e3b2b5:g:IccAAOSw71xZnGUt
Thanks!
I have bought several items from scrambler cycle. Kevin is great to deal with and his products are excellent quality. Buy directly from his web site for a slightly better deal.

Scrambler Cycle - Honda CB450 CL450 CB500 CB500K Fork Tube Set - 51410-323-010 Repro

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool thank you Jay. Does anyone have any suggestions for bending a frame back straight? It looks like the bottom part of the steering stem heads off to the left :( The frame shop near me quoted me at $400.... so I'm looking for other options!

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Cool thank you Jay. Does anyone have any suggestions for bending a frame back straight? It looks like the bottom part of the steering stem heads off to the left :( The frame shop near me quoted me at $400.... so I'm looking for other options!
$400 for straightening a frame actually is a good price, they mount them in a jig so they can get everything correct.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well even if it is, it's a bit out of the project budget right now.
I contacted Race Tech and they said I have a 71-73 CB500K front end on my bike. Or a 72-74 CB450. Unfortunately they don't sell emulators for these. They make springs for them though. Im not sure what Ill do with the front end now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts