Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I’ll be fixing up my 1972 CL350 and wanted a place to document the process and to ask question, so here I am!

A little history about the bike. It belonged to my uncle’s uncle. Later my uncle got the bike, where it sat for years. About 8 years ago my uncle and I decided to get it running, which we did, for 18 miles. When a bolt on the cam gear came loose and he heard a “tink”. Ended up snapping the cam chain and bending an exhaust valve. SO it’s been sitting, once again, for the last 7 years until NOW!

I’ve spent a lot of time trying to figure out a game plan and I think I know what I want to do now. At first I was going to run a custom tank and was going to use cognito’s conversion hub and get a GSXR front end and all that but I didn’t want to put THAT much money into this bike. NOW I think I’m going to keep my stock CL tank and front end. The front end was replaced somewhere down the line with something from a 450, I THINK. The fork tubes are 35mm so I don’t think it came from a 350. So I plan to get new tubes for them and use race techs emulators to fix them up a bit. Black aluminum rims with new spokes. New master cylinder, SS brake lines and new pads. Unless someone has a better suggestion.
Don’t know what Im doing with the controls/gauges yet but ill get modern replacements. I like the bar end turn signals I’m seeing. MIGHT get the moto gadet M unit but those are a bit pricey… so we’ll see how the build goes. I am going to get a “cafe” seat and ill stick the battery and electronics in there. Definitely will be switching to electronic ignition and a new regulator/rectifier. I think Im going to try and use the LED strip brake light/turn signals but how I want to mount my seat I won’t be able to see the rear frame hoop. So I might notch the back of the fiberglass seat.
Probably will keep the stock CV carbs.
I don’t think ill be doing much to the engine. Cams are EXPENSIVE for these bikes! I think I'll use the KA slipper cam chain tensioner. Maybe some valve work? I don’t know yet.
I would like to try and make the CL exhaust work with new mufflers. Man that thing is a boat anchor!!!
Rear shocks maybe Hagon? Unless I win the lotto for something nicer.
Might get a 520 conversion chain set up, which seem to be about the same price as a 530.
Well thats my game plan as of now! Im sure lots will change along the way… time to get to work.

Taking it all apart I think it's amazing how heavy everything is...it's like the engineers wanted it to be heavy. "We need to hold this tiny wire. Let's build a 2lb steel bracket for it!"
Before and current state:
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Car

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Spoke

Land vehicle Vehicle Spoke Tire Bicycle wheel

Barf!
Auto part Machine Vehicle brake Machine tool Engine

The mystery front end!
Speedometer Gauge Motor vehicle Auto part Odometer

Auto part Engine Vehicle Pipe Fuel line

Spoke Tire Wheel Auto part Rim

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Auto part Wheel

Bicycle wheel Tire Bicycle part Spoke Wheel

General shape inspo
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Spoke

·
Premium Member
23,895 Posts
I'm going to guess that the front end is from a CB350F, possibly a CB350G or CB450G. All of the CL's were drum front brake and 33mm forks, all the CB350's were the same except for the G model.

Reactions: jvphotog

·
Registered
500 Posts
Oh I forgot to add, it does have a 19" front wheel.
So it appears the frame is bent... might explain the "new" front end... :(

Does anyone have any experience buying from these guys?:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CB45...:CB450&hash=item4669e3b2b5:g:IccAAOSw71xZnGUt
Thanks!
I have bought several items from scrambler cycle. Kevin is great to deal with and his products are excellent quality. Buy directly from his web site for a slightly better deal.

Scrambler Cycle - Honda CB450 CL450 CB500 CB500K Fork Tube Set - 51410-323-010 Repro

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool thank you Jay. Does anyone have any suggestions for bending a frame back straight? It looks like the bottom part of the steering stem heads off to the left :( The frame shop near me quoted me at $400.... so I'm looking for other options!

·
Premium Member
23,895 Posts
Cool thank you Jay. Does anyone have any suggestions for bending a frame back straight? It looks like the bottom part of the steering stem heads off to the left :( The frame shop near me quoted me at $400.... so I'm looking for other options!
$400 for straightening a frame actually is a good price, they mount them in a jig so they can get everything correct.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well even if it is, it's a bit out of the project budget right now.
I contacted Race Tech and they said I have a 71-73 CB500K front end on my bike. Or a 72-74 CB450. Unfortunately they don't sell emulators for these. They make springs for them though. Im not sure what Ill do with the front end now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.