Honda Twins banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, I have a project I am finally able to start on. Long story short, I bought a 72 cl350 frame with intentions to cafe it. I looked for a motor for a while and ended up finding a 71 sl350 kick start only motor. I looked on Google and read up how it wouldn't fit with out modifications and low and behold it went right in, minus the top motor mounts as seen in the pictures. I will custom make some this weekend and make sure everything is lined up.
I know I will stumble, so I will definitely ask for help. I specifically want to get rid of as much wiring as possible so any help is much appreciated. Here are a few pictures of my project.
I may have to figure out how to post them ...ha

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
My understanding is that the K0 SL350 engine was the one that didn't fit easily since it was mounted in a different type frame. The K1 & 2 were in a similar frame to the CB/CL series.
Probably the simplest thing to do with the wiring is get a harness from an SL350 K1 or 2 since there'll be no electric starter wires. The rest of the stuff you really do want to have like horn, turn signals, headlight, tail/brake light, etc. Even if you run w/o turns you may want the in the future so having the wiring there is good even if unused.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Manny777, just to be sure, do all 4 of the lower mounts on that SL350K2 motor line up in that CL350 frame?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Pick up different color wire from the Wire Barn and terminal kit from Cycle Terminal. Sit with pen in hand and write down what you want to wire from point a to point b. Then work with it till you all systems the way you want them with least amount of wiring. Last 350 I did I put the flasher where the starter seloniod was mounted . Also do the rectifier upgrade. Then lay it out on a work bench marking each wire for its use. Once your satisfied write it down on a piece of paper as a guide. Then wire the bike.. I dont know what its called but I use a 1/2 inch black plastic tube thats open on one side so you can wrap it along the wire to protect it from the frame. Ive done several this way and have had good results.

Bill

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jim, i think you are correct because it was not difficult at all. I will be looking for a k1 or k2 harness, unless there is an easier way. I do plan on running a small battery for the lights.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.