Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my first build so I thought I would start documenting my progress. Up to date I have rebuilt carbs , added new points , adjusted can chain tensioner, adjusted valves and set timing. The gas tank was full of rust so I used apple cider vinegar and bb’s to clean then poured distilled water in it to neutralize. The bike runs ok but not great yet. I decided to start the cosmetic work to make it look cafe. Attached are some. Pictures of the bike as it sits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I also have all the original parts I will be looking to sell for some spending money to finish this thing. Front fender, rear fender, air cleaner covers complete with rod and nuts, rear tail lamp assembly, battery box, front head light, blinkers (all 4), handlebars,and so on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn’t start this blog early enough so here is a picture of the cb350 I started with.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here is a picture of the carbs right after cleaning and rebuilding. I wish I would have taken pictures of the gas tank in the inside before cleaning it. Man what a job that is.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I find cleaning tanks the worst, most frustrating job to do on old bikes. I'd rather clean grease off an old Cat.

Make sure you allow enough clearance between tire and seat pan for the wheel travel.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I find cleaning tanks the worst, most frustrating job to do on old bikes. I'd rather clean grease off an old Cat.
I have to agree with you

Make sure you allow enough clearance between tire and seat pan for the wheel travel.
I plan to measure that next time I get opportunity to work on the bike.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
Are you sure you neutralized the vinegar in the tank? I'd rinse it out with a mixture of baking soda and water if I were you, followed by a rinse of plain water, a good drying with a hair dryer, and coating the inside with a little Marvel Mystery Oil to keep the rust away until you put gas in it.

I like those TT pipes. Do you plan on using them in your cafe build?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you sure you neutralized the vinegar in the tank? I'd rinse it out with a mixture of baking soda and water if I were you, followed by a rinse of plain water, a good drying with a hair dryer, and coating the inside with a little Marvel Mystery Oil to keep the rust away until you put gas in it.
Yes I neutralized the tank hand have already put gas in the tank. I wanted to be sure that I had the bike running sum what good prior to starting on the look of the bike.

I like those TT pipes. Do you plan on using them in your cafe build?
I haven’t decided on the pipes yet. Preferably I would rather have the side pipes but I’ll probably stick with these for a little while.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I haven’t decided on the pipes yet. Preferably I would rather have the side pipes but I’ll probably stick with these for a little while...
If you decide to get rid of the pipes, let me know...;)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hi, nice build so far.

I like those pipes as well, keep me in mind if 83XLX passes on them.

That is, if you decide to part with them.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I would like to see a picture.
Here's the cafe version from a couple years ago:
10.jpg

Here's the current version:
6-7-19d.jpg

I'm interested in the TT pipes for a future project that's still just an idea in my head. It wouldn't involve my current 350, though. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's the cafe version from a couple years ago:
View attachment 284086

Here's the current version:
View attachment 284088

I'm interested in the TT pipes for a future project that's still just an idea in my head. It wouldn't involve my current 350, though. ;)
I like both. Nice work! I would trade you pipes. My TT for your side pipes.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Nice pix of the bike, but I would also like to see the Harley............

Oops, never mind I recall seeing it in another thread.

"Calling all Harley owners", or something like that.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I like both. Nice work! I would trade you pipes. My TT for your side pipes. I would like the clip on bars also. What did you do with all the parts you replaced?
Sorry, I'm keeping all the cafe racer parts in case I want to convert it back at some point. I was afraid you might want a trade when you saw the scrambler pipes, but I used parts of them to refurb an original '68-'69 CL exhaust. Keep your eyes open on eBay for a set of CL pipes with rusted out mufflers (or with the muffler cut off). They usually aren't that expensive because most people want a good stock system, and then you can bolt a couple small mufflers to them like I did.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts