Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first bike and I have been going through it piece by piece. I am damn sick of kicking the bike over.

the problem- the starter will catch some of the time and the rest of the time will race without turning the engine over

I recently bought a new starter and it will be here later this week but I have been thinking that the starter is not the issue.

What needs to be replaced? and how much are the parts?

Thank you everyone!
-Mark

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Others here are more knowledgable of it but I'd say you're gonna have to tear into the starter clutch. Look up your bike on an online parts fiche to give yourself an idea of what you're getting into...

CMSNL will have the fiche for you to check out..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Had the same problem on my 450. I replaced the springs and caps in the starter clutch (parts 2 and 3). The other guys will know more, but if it's the same as the 450 you'll need 3 of each. Cost me around $25 I think.

[attachment=0:285rqpaw]2176_ALTERNATOR.gif[/attachment:285rqpaw]

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks everyone I think it is the springs caps and rollers. I am picking up a set this week. looks like a pretty easy install. now that I have an extra starter motor does anyone need one lol

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
vdubtt said:
thanks everyone I think it is the springs caps and rollers. I am picking up a set this week. looks like a pretty easy install. now that I have an extra starter motor does anyone need one lol
You're going to have to pull the armature (#6 in the picture) so you're going to need a flywheel puller. I'm pretty sure it is the 16mm size and you can see one here on the Motion Pro site for about $10. http://motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0027/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts