Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I've had the bike the kick starter hasn't worked, what I mean is, it doesn't turn the engine over, its not a big problem as I have the electric start.

So this winter I'm contemplating seeing what the problem is and need some advise. I noticed from the assembly drawing there are 2 circlips used and was wondering if one of these was missing would that cause this type of problem. I've also notice there's about 1-1.5mm of end float in the shaft.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
When you say doesn't work ? ? ?

It cranks without engaging ? ?

It won't MOVE Locked Up jammed ? ?

They are very different symptoms.

You will have to remove the motor, but you can split the cases and access all of the kick stsrter components from the bottom side.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I meant was it works fine, moves freely and returns, but wont engage and turn over the engine.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
That would most likely mean the circlip on the end of the shaft has com eoff and no longer holds the stack of parts in place.

If it were me I would NOT run the bike for fear one of the misc peices would get caught up in the trans gears.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Just a FYI. circlip are directional. Meaing there is a right and wrong way to install them.

They are punched out of a sheet of metal.
That leaves the top edge rounded and the bottom edge sharp and flat.
The Sharp Flat edge needs to go opposite the side where the pressure will come from.
If you install the rounded edge so it supports the pressure side it can pop off.
That may be what happened to you.

However. I suspect the clip was over stretched when it was installed.
It is a very small diamter clip and esliy stretched out so it no longer hads the tension required to hold.
The Flat Side goes OUT so the pressure from the srping pushes the FLAT edge agsinst the groove and it holds.

This is the stack of parts for the internal of the Kick Starter. #30 is the circlip on the very outside end.
KickStarterClip.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts