Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just picked up a non-running CL175K6, got it running but now I'm looking into some electrical issue.

In the second key position the tail light will come on like it's supposed to, but when running normally none of the lights work at all.

My first thought is the old rectifier needs to be replaced, if that wasn't working properly would it cause all the lights not to work?

I spent some time looking for the rectifier to do some bench testing on it but couldn't seem to find it on the bike. I've read that it's supposed to be near the battery box somewhere, so maybe I just need to pull the battery box out to get a better look.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

--
Mike

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
Hi,

I just picked up a non-running CL175K6, got it running but now I'm looking into some electrical issue.

In the second key position the tail light will come on like it's supposed to, but when running normally none of the lights work at all....Did you turn them on?....Not automatically on like modern bikes.....Bulbs or filaments may be burnt out......Fuses good?.....

My first thought is the old rectifier needs to be replaced, if that wasn't working properly would it cause all the lights not to work?....NO......

I spent some time looking for the rectifier Will look like a 2" cubic Orange/RED finned heatsink in a black plastic partial box, or an inch and a quarter by 3/4 high slightly finned "plus" sign on a bolt to do some bench testing on it but couldn't seem to find it on the bike. I've read that it's supposed to be near the battery box somewhere, so maybe I just need to pull the battery box out to get a better look. Should be visible just by opening the seat.....

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

--
Mike
See red notations..... OR, phone me while at bike......number below....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the notes!

I did try to turn them on, tried each position of the switches on the handlebars, also tried the directionals and got nothing from them. (hopefully I'm not missing something here: right had control has off, low, and high - left hand control has the directionals)

The bulbs definitely could be burnt out, but I thought it might be something else since the tail light comes one in the second key position but doesn't respond at all when the bike is running.

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
Does your bike have three fuses or one fuse?

So much easier if you just phone...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just the one fuse under the seat as far as I can tell, it's in good shape as the electric starter is working normally.

I could probably call tonight or tomorrow night

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also forgot to mention that the neutral indicator light works fine, but I've yet to see any of the other indicators illuminate while testing different switch positions on the controls.

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
Neutral indicator is powered directly from the Black wires ("HOT" when key is on) and taillight "Park" mode (position 2 CW clicks of key) gets power directly from battery positive RED wire (via the key switch position)....Brake light also uses Black wire as its power source, so since the neutral light works and engine runs, it should work...(maybe bad filament, or bad switch?)
Turn signals get power from Black at the flasher module which then travels as a Gray wire to the L/R selector switch (faulty, unplugged, or missing module...unplugged/poorly connected wires?)
Since NONE of the "other" lights work, I'd suspect a black wire to the headlight switch is unplugged, OR the switch itself is bad, as this also powers the Brown/white stripe wire that in turn powers the meter lighting and tail/run light normally.....

AND, of course, all the grounds must be made (Dark Green or "tagged" green wires)

Call and we'll go through list and sort it out.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really appreciate the insight, thank you!

I'll start tracing this stuff over the next couple days and report back what I find.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Got the lights working tonight!

I started by pulling the battery box to get some extra room and checking all the black connections under the seat and everything seemed to be in order.

Then I moved up to the headlight and pulled it out so I could start testing the switches. Used the continuity tester on my multimeter to verify each switch position worked according to the wiring diagram, all the black connections were made in the headlight bucket too, which made me look at the ground connection.

Turns out the harness had no ground at all, took a look back at the connections under the seat, this time the green ones and found an empty spot in the connector there. I figured there used to be a connection to the negative terminal of the battery that should go there, seeing no sign of anything like that on the bike I figured the previous owner must have disconnected it for some reason. I made a new lead, bullet connector on one end and ring terminal on the other, plugged it in to the empty spot I found, then put the battery box back and hooked up the new lead to the battery ground along with the frame ground and started seeing some more life in the lighting!

I connected the switch wires and the headlight back up and started testing different switch positions. Initially I got some strange behavior, like the directionals turning on solid instead of the headlight but I must have connected some wires to the wrong places.

Printed a new copy of the wiring diagram and pulled all the connections in the headlight bucket apart and reconnected them one by one checking them off on the wiring diagram as I went. My slight color blindness made this a bit more challenging and had the horn and left directional mixed up at one point, jumped when testing that one haha!

I got everything sorted out with the connections, reinstalled the headlight and everything is working as it should now!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Steve!

--
Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts