Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully I have this figured out so I will try to document this "project" as it seems to be becoming. This is when I first got it to the house.

My Nephew had left the petcock on and there was gas in the oil. Did not start it but drained the oil and cleaned the filter spinning thing.

After that I started and only let it idle, when it started getting warm I put my hand behind the mufflers and noticed the right was cold, not firing. I bought new plugs and still not. I noticed the bowl overflow tube on the right was tied in a knot and routed above the carb so I untied it and rerouted the lines down where they were supposed to be and turned the gas on, gas pouring out. I removed the bowls and the floats were set too high, the right one hit the top of the bowl chamber it was so far off. I set the floats to close to 20mm which stopped the overflow but it still wouldn't run with fresh plugs. So I bought a carb kit from 4into 1 and a paint can of the carb cleaner and removed all the jets and everything and cleaned it real good. Now I did what most advise not to and replaced all with new. Oh yea the right float had a leak and was 1/2 full of gas also. I figured I might as well adj the cam chain tension, adj tappet clearance, put new points in and set static time. So that is where I am now putting it all back together. Geese all the same pic's well I'm done took me two hr do do this much

At least I will know a little more about these and this bike. Forgot to mention the old plugs left was sooty and black and of course the right was black and wet. Looking through the plug holes at TDC the piston tops look carboned up and the compression test was 150 left and 125 right cold before I set the tappet clearances. The right side exaust tappet adjuster was set pointing toward the motor. What would that do?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
The right side exaust tappet adjuster was set pointing toward the motor. What would that do?
The good news is you figured out how to post pictures, and they're right side up too. Excellent. The follower shaft notch pointing the wrong way can cause improper wear on the follower as it positions it incorrectly below the camshaft, but it sounds like you have more to look into than that so it'll all come out eventually once you tear down the top end. good that you found the ridiculous "solution" the PO did to stop the flooding on the carb with the bad float, and that you also didn't run it with diluted oil. Note to self, in case you didn't already realize: 450s are famous for the carbs weeping into the intake ports if the fuel is left on and it trickles its way into the bottom end, so remember to always turn off the fuel at each and every stop - even if it's to go in the store or coffee shop for a half hour. Overall, it looks like you have something decent to work with.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm putting the carbs back on tomorrow and try to start it. Hopefully it will start and run on both cylinders.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm putting the carbs back on tomorrow and try to start it. Hopefully it will start and run on both cylinders.
Well it's been a couple days but I got the carbs back on, new gas lines remounted the tank, gassed it up, turned on the petcock, no choke three or four revolutions and it started. running on left cylinder only still. Crap. So I go out and pull the plug wires and the non fire plug hook the coil wire to it ground it and good spark. I go to check the good side for the heck of it and to compare spark but I forgot to unplug the bad side plug, turn it over and lo and behold it starts firing on the bad right side. I put the tank back on both plugs and wires and start it and it is trying to run on both but sputtering and puffing smoke and blow by from the head breather w/ smoke carbon & oily or gassy mixture so I shut it off or rather it died as the R's went down. I was not reving it over about 2,500 to 3,000 over maybe a minute. I am 99.9% sure the timing is spot on. The carbs are set up right. Could I have some opinions please. I'm done for the night, pick it up again next year. HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope everyone had a safe New Years so far. Well all the smoking and spitting has stopped I suppose it was just cleaning itself out. Now it starts pretty well with the choke, in the 40's here, and I get it to idle pretty quickly. I took it for a 10 mile ride yesterday and it did well. I took it through all gears and up to about 60mph and it handles pretty good, I did notice a bit of a wobble going through a left turn at about 40-45 mph. I noticed when I got back letting it idle the right side exhaust was blowing a little warmer than the left. When I set the static time I had a hard time getting the left cyl set exactly on the LF, the light was coming on just past the mark. I'm guessing that is why it's blowing cooler and I will try again to get it set exact. I pulled the plugs and took pic's of them to show here so I'll try to do that now.

well I'm having trouble linking the pic of the other plug, it is a little out of focus and the both are about the same anyway. I thought the contact arm looked whiter than it should and it is still a little black around the base of the plug. It was only a 10 mile ride so I don't really know if that would be enough run time to give a good read of the plug. It will be raining here for the next couple days but it's supposed to be nice Sat. Sun. and Mon. so I'll try to reset the left cyl time and put another new set of plugs in it and take it for longer rides. There is an overlook at the top of the mountain I think that would be a good place to look at the plugs again. By the way, it feels sort of strange riding a bike that rev's this high, I'v been riding a 1990 FLHS for the last 20 years or so. The last time I rode a Jap road bike was back in the early to mid 80' I had a Suzuki GS 850G.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts