Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, hey :) I'm Liz and I didn't see anywhere to post an introduction so I suppose this is as good as any. I recently "found" my Dad's 1972 Honda CB450 in the garage underneath a pile of... everything. I asked him about it and he says all it needs is a new clutch. I'm excited to undertake the project since he's never had the time. The last time I was on this bike I was about 6 or 7, I'll be 25 in September lol :D I would venture to say that this was probably the last time it was started or riden, if not then shortly there after. I'm pretty good with a set of wrenches and cars, I'm hoping to learn a few things in this adventure from anyone who can throw good advice at me. I'll also keep a photo log of everything. I apologize in advance for the pictures, I'll try to take better ones when I dig her out better and get her in the sun. I think I'm going to name her Lucille, Lucy for short. :)

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Welcome Liz from the far side of the pond.
look forward to reading your story.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Lizadizzle said:
I think I'm going to name her Lucille, Lucy for short. :)
Nice, Lucille is a great name for a bike. In fact it's the name of B.B. Kings guitar too.

Welcome to the site and good luck on your project!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Yeesh, ok... life took a few turns from my first post, to this post. I won't get too involved on the erroneous life stuff, but suffice to say Dad and I are now on the same page with this project lol :D I said in the first post that I was thinking about Lucille for a name, but I ended up getting married and our dog is named Lucille, Lucy for short lol, so I'm going with Lola. I think it fits, especially with the paint we did on the tank and all the shiny chrome that's starting to come out.

So, here's the real update. We finally dug it out of the "rubble" about a month ago. I said in my first post that it just needed some updating and a clutch. Ah hahahahaha... no. Silly 25 year old me. So far we've dropped a new battery in, electrical system seems to be in good shape. At least all the lights work appropriately (do the turn indicators just light up or uh... are they supposed to blink?)

Here she is just after we took the seat and tank off.
20150909_165409.jpg

Took the tank and side panels to the shop to be overhauled. I was ready to do it myself with his help, but he preferred to let a pro tackle that. Here's the after shots of the tank, I have some before shots but they're on a jump drive somewhere that isn't... here. :) It was originally the candy garnet brown (somewhat shown in the first post), but I spotted a '73 online that had the iris purple paint and fell in love. So I got the guys at the shop to do it up nice for me. You'll note that in one picture the tank appears almost black but when the sun hits it, or the flash on the camera, it sparkles purple. I love it. :D
20150912_120007.jpg 20150912_120020.jpg IMG_20150903_155527.jpg

Those are the original tank badges, I haven't officially attached them back onto the tank yet, nor the stripping at the bottom, but I was so excited that they came out so clean! I did manage a before / after on the badges lol :)
DSCN0510.JPG DSCN0512.JPG

As for the rest of it, well... my front brake piston is stuck, but I've read up on that on here and I'm hopeful I'll be able to get it unstuck tonight or at least this week. I'm waiting for Dad to come back from out of town to tackle the carbs, I'm brave but not stupid lol :D I was able to get the front caliper off rolled the bike out to the sunshine for a quick rinse. Being parked for 25 some odd years will coat a girl in some nasty cobwebby grossness. I was so sad to see how much rust was starting to appear on the chrome, but once I started rubbing at it with the TurtleWax Chrome polish, it started coming off. There are some stubborn parts that I cautiously scraped at with a fingernail, and those came off also, so I'm going to try the Coke / foil trick and hope for the best. I was pretty stoked to see the tires held air after all this time, those are the original tires I believe, but I'm not riding on those. Pretty sure Dad put an order in for some new ones last week or so. I'm pretty sure my clutch is actually working, but the handle seems awful damn tight, I have to squeeze it with two hands to compress it but the gears are moving pretty easily. No heinous sounds coming from the transmission at least. Hopefully I can track down a smaller, more original seat than what I've got, I'll have to post a photo of it. I don't necessarily want to cafe it, but the seat I have is huge. I also want to take the windscreen off, I'm iffy on that rear luggage rack, I like it... but I don't. :D

Anyhow, here's some close ups of the stuck brake before I removed it and cleaned it off a bit, Lola soaking up some sunshine post-bath and the chrome after I worked on it for a while.
20150909_102559.jpg 20150911_165916.jpg 20150911_173816.jpg 20150911_173838.jpg

Hopefully, I'll be able to update this as we go along, but I tend to update daily or at least weekly on Instagram if anyone is interested. My IG name is Lizadizzle, but you don't have to follow me, you can search the hashtag "#DizzlesProjectLola" and find photos easily. Hope everyone has a great week :D

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Nice to see the project moving. That paint really pops. Once you get the brakes fixed, I bet the clutch will not be thfety issue. at much of a problem. The brake shoes and pads need to be changed. This is a safety issue. On my 450 K5, the friction material on the rear brake was completely disbanded on disassembly. The bonding between the shoe and friction material will deteriorate over time. David Silver Spares sells a nice set at a good price. Also, the wheel bearings should be replaced. On an episode of Cafe Racer, the front wheel bearings failed and locked the front wheel when the rider was going about 45 MPH.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, got the brake unstuck, pushed the pad / piston out far enough to remove the brake pad but the piston wouldn't come out, or off. The middle part of the piston, inside the ring, spins but there's no other action. If I hook the caliper back up and squeeze some more, will that whole thing pop out?

Also, couple other n00b questions:

The turn indicators are supposed to blink... right? Mine only light up. Is that a 12V flasher problem? I located that but I haven't replaced it yet.
I have not attempted to start the motor at all yet. I wanted to make sure I didn't screw anything up by doing that prematurely. I assume I should change all the fluids out first and clean up the carbs first?
As I said earlier, I didn't notice any issues with the clutch and gears changing, but the clutch handle is super tight and hard to squeeze. Will that loosen up as we go or is there something I can do to fix that?

Thanks for any help y'all might be able to roll my way! :)

That paint really pops.
Thank you! I love it so much. I was a little nervous but once I saw it, first in the shop and then again out in the sun, I knew it was perfect.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Couple questions to add to above.
1. This bike was garage kept, so most things are in ok condition but I personally want to replace: brake pads and shoes, brake line and fuel lines. Is there anything else (besides tires) that should be replaced also?
2. I will be changing fluids out, old brake line has been flushed already, and I will be changing the oil out. Can someone direct me to a thread or something where I might find out how to clean out the clutch mechanism or change the transmission fluid?

Thanks.

·
Registered
233 Posts
A good place to start with the hard clutch operation is in this forum at http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/62-engine-discussion/39595-85-cb450-se-clutch-issue-help.html, and is not the transmission oil the same as an engine oil change on these wet clutch machines? Perhaps someone who is more knowledgeable on the CB450 can add some comments. A honda workshop manual for the CB450 is available free, will edit and post the link if I find it.

EDIT: Our friends at "Do the Ton" had a link to https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_...ZTcxLTgyNDEtZmIxOTlmM2ZlNTZl/view?hl=en&pli=1 but I can't say for how long it will still work...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
. A honda workshop manual for the CB450 is available free, will edit and post the link if I find it.
I have some sort of manual, it's yellow and came with the bike? Well Dad says it came with the bike. I don't know if that means it came with the bike originally or it came with it when he bought it in the 80s. I also have something online from cb450stuff.com. I don't know if those are workshop manuals or not, I'll take anything and any help I can get right now. :D so thank you in advance! I will definitely check out that clutch thread.

I have zero idea on the transmission / engine oil thing. My Dad is doing most of the engine work, my job is the rest :D, but he's out of town and I wanted to get a few things done before he got back, kinda take some of the load off of him as I know he'll be dog tired when he does get back.

Thanks again for the link!

·
Registered
233 Posts
The yellow manual is likely the owner's manual, see post #11(edited) for added Factory Service Manual (FSM) link...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Excellent, thank you so much! I'll attach a photo of my extra moldy yellow book. I think youre right on it being the owners manual. At any rate, hopefully Dad and I can get back to work since he's been busy doing Dad things out of town lol

Watch this space :D

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know it's only been a few weeks, but I've been changing jobs and trying to get stuff together. Anyhow, started putting together a parts list tonight as a surprise for my Dad. I didn't think it was too fair for him to put all the money into this bike lol :D

So I'm scrolling through one of the websites to purchase from and it occurred to me that I have no idea how to get the emblems back on the gas tank. The paint shop removed them, obviously, for painting and then just handed them to me when we picked the tank and side covers up since they were pretty dirty. In a previous post, I showed how I shined them back up but... I have no idea how to add them back. I tried to look it up a few different places, but I'm only coming up with how to get them off. In the diagram I looked at, it appeared as if there were some sort of bolts or nuts that hold onto the pins on the rear of the emblems. I feel like an idiot because I just can't figure this one out. :/

Thanks for any advice on this.

·
Premium Member
1,100 Posts
450 tank emblems have two small clips for each emblem. Part number 31 on this fiche...

Western Honda Motorcycles Phoenix ATVs Honda Motorcycle Parts

These clips are still available from Honda for ~$10 for a set of 4. They snap into the holes on the side of the tank and then the emblem is pushed into them.

BTW...book mark a dealership (of choice) fiche...they are very handy for figuring out part location, availability and assembly when you are unsure.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks to the both of you! I will do just that.

Today I got lucky and tried that dang piston again, and as luck would have it, she popped right out when I pumped the brake lever a few times. It doesn't look pitted up, some gunk from old fluid, but other than that, she looks pretty good. I can't begin to explain how excited that makes me.

I put in an order from Common Motor, 4into1 and Western (yay!!) for various parts. Here's to hoping we'll be back on track soon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Just kidding on the piston not being pitted. It is, but it's not too bad. Pic below shows (top) before / after shot of one side of it where the pits are worst. Bottom two pics are before / after of the least pitted side. I first rubbed it with a towel and a bit of brake fluid, then did a 30 min dip in a carb cleaner bucket followed up with a brush tip on the electric drill. Obviously the drill wasn't going to take the pits out but it did clean some of the rust out of there.
IMG_20151007_234717.jpg
This photo shows the before of the (clockwise from top left) small side of the caliper, sans brake pad. The large side of the caliper with piston removed (gasket still in place), outward (brake pad) side of the piston and the inner side of the piston.
IMG_20151007_234823.jpg
I'll post some afters of the last set this week hopefully, but I will say that all the rust on the outward side of the piston came off. It's completely shiny steel now. The calipers will be some work but they're already looking a lot better. Amazingly enough, the piston gasket wasn't damaged at all. I cleaned it off with some water to get the gunk off and it isn't split or worn at all. I'd already ordered a new one, so the new one will replace it but I still thought it was awesome that it didn't show any age / wear.

Watch this space ;)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts