Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am bringing my CB450 project Thread over from sohc4.net. It is very picture intensive, so copying it all over is not practical, but I will attach the link to this post, and continue updating on both sites.

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Gersh

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=35057.0

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Re: 1972 CB450 K5 with some Mods

I noticed that HondaMan said Uh-Oh when looking at your fork seal picture and the next poster asked "what's wrong".

Is that how you installed your fork seals? They're in upsided down in that picture.

Oh, and welcome aboard. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts

Glad to have you...I really dig all the "shiny" work you've done.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts

I was about to say the same thing Mike. Unless Allballs has some new type of seal they've invented..

I like what you're doing with modifying the torsion bars. Pretty brave, but she should sing at high revs.. :cool:

Now you need some performance cams to match.. ;)

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

MNellis said:
I noticed that HondaMan said Uh-Oh when looking at your fork seal picture and the next poster asked "what's wrong".

Is that how you installed your fork seals? They're in upsided down in that picture.

Oh, and welcome aboard. :)

I posted the following...

Wow,

Just saw this, are they upside down???????? Not that I would be shocked! And, it's easily fixed, with some hot water and careful prying..... I hope....

Hondaman, I am all ears!

Gersh

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Nevermind. They are upside down. I will carefully switch directions on the seals ASAP.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts

You're likely to ruin them getting em out, so don't be surprised if you have to buy a new set..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
439 Posts

great job documenting here! I am grooving on the bike... keep it up man!

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Thanks for the input and compliments, guys. I am really having a great time with this project. It is a learning experience for me, and I am even enjoying learning from my mistakes.

Today I am off to find a missing O-ring that was supposed to show up on Friday, but I guess the weather killed that chance. I will also redo my fork seals.

As for ruining them, well, if it happens, it will be a mistake I will hopefully never repeat. When I pulled the old seals, they really just slipped right out. I will dunk the seals in some hot water to expand the aluminum, and carefully pry them out. I will throw up some better documentation on reinstalling as well.

Gersh

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts

When I installed my 450 fork seals I slid the tub in place and made a cheap slide hammer out of PVC to drive the seal in place.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Ok, a couple of weekends, but lots of progress. As we left you last, it was pointed out that I had my fork seals upside down. So, I went back that next weekend, pulled my seals and I thought flipped them over…. Well, not quite, somewhere along the line, I put them back in their original positions, because, I did not refer to my original photos. Well, long story and many head-butts against a hard metal surface, they are now in correctly.

When using the All-Balls seals MAKE SURE THE RECTANGULAR “HOLES” ARE FACING YOU!!!!!!!!!! Yes, I am yelling this, but at myself, not you guys!

I then proceeded to time the Camshafts. Not a lot of pictures here, but you need to remember that getting the side covers on is paramount. On the intake side, the timing is easy, on the exhaust, don’t be afraid to manhandle the camshaft into position. BTW, Honda… your timing marks on my bike SUCK!!!!! But I got it despite you, and thanks to http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=781, without which, your service manuals do absolutely no good….
Got it done, and life is good!

Shop Dog was very happy about the whole affair…

So after running the engine through some revs, I heard the wondrous “whoooosh” as the engine built up compression, but brilliant as we are, I forgot to set the valve clearance. I did hit 95 – 110 PSI without, so I am pretty hopeful…
So my buddy pointed out the hard work we did Zoop Sealing the Aluminium, that the stainless bolts looked dirty in the allen heads, so after much beer and bravado… we came up with this – the Q-tip has brake cleaner on it.

Works great, BTW….

Zoop Seal shows a lot of promise, BTW…

I got the engine together, here are some views…

Now. I have to set the Vavle clearances, and then I have to learn how to weld, so that I can make the mounts for the 550 Seat. Once the brackets are welded, the frame and lower triple will get PC’d black and then the tins will be painted Candy Bacchus Olive.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

So, after a bunch of life stuff getting in the way, I am finally ready to get back to work on my 450. Better late than never. In the meantime, I have been keeping up on maintainance of my other bikes and various projects.

Now I am ready to bring all my parts in for Powdercoating/Chrome/Paint.

POWDERCOATING:

I will be using K&S Powderoating in Poughkeepsie, NY. I stopped by their facility this week, and was impressed with the work they were doing. They do come highly recommended by different shops in the area. They will take care of all prepping and covering of threads. If anyone has experience with them, i would love to hear it.

The frame will be done in a "sparkling silver" with various black accents and clear over some of the polished bits.

Question: What should I look out for in terms of keeping Grounding points on a CB450 K5 frame? I want to make sure that I can cover those areas prior to coating so I will not have to grind off the new powder.

CHROME:

If I chrome items like axels and motor mounting bolts, will I have a problem fitting them back in place? HOw about dealing with threads?

PAINT:

The tins will be painted Candy Bacchus Olive using Don's Paint kit. I am working on sourcing a K0 headlight shell for which will also be painted Olive.

Thanks!

Gersh

·
Registered
43 Posts

Nice looking motor. For powdercoat, don't take a chance on anybody prepping the bolt holes. I got burned in this respect at a place here in Ga that came just as highly recommended. Don't get me wrong the coating looks awesome, so it's my bad for not taking the following steps. Those guys can't look at a part on a 40y/o bike frame and recognize whether or not a particular surface should not be coated, and even if they can, I doubt they keep all those weird metric bolts on hand. If there's a threaded hole or a hole that has a bolt passing through it, put one in it. The powder coat will find any hole that you don't. It will pool up thick and the bolts won't fit anymore.
If you get the Triple tree done, then remember to tape up the surface that grabs the forks and put a bolt through the holes that clamp them down.
Protect your steer stem bearings and the press fit surfaces that they rest on. To be sure, close off both ends. Paint remover if you don't.
Don't forget motor mount holes on the cradle!
the rear shocks won't fit on the posts if they are covered in several mil of powdercoat.
The swing arm bushings and pivot bolt holes on the frame! You will not get the powder off without destroying the factory plastic bushings. :oops:

It'll take an hour or so to do this stuff, it'll possibly add countless hours of frustration if you don't.

Nothing beats watching these old bikes come together with clean shiny parts. Look forward to seeing it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts

You need to be careful if you use a bolt in a threaded hole prior to powder coating. The coating will "flow" around the bolt and the hole and you stand a chance of chipping the coating when you remove the bolt.

My powder coating guy isn't as judicious and careful in protecting certain holes either but I just plan on using a tap on all the thread when I get the frame (or component) back.

I also had my cases bead blasted and a bunch of grit gets down in those holes as well. I've made up a small air nozzle that uses a 1/16" copper tube that's about 6" long as a nozzle. I can get down to the bottom of just about all the holes prior to and after using the tap. In my case, I've also ground my own bottoming taps for all the popular sizes 4mm, 5mm, 6mm and 8mm to ensure I get the most grit I can out of the holes.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thanks for the info guys. I will post on the progress as soon as I have the parts back.

·
Registered
348 Posts

I am curious to see what you think about those pistons once the bike is running, also what carbs are you going to run? Stock? I am looking at those pistons, but I am going to tackle the ignition before tearing the engine open and playing with the carbs.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

MasseyR,

I am going with stock, but I will go with larger jets once the BCR Exhaust goes on.

I will let you know. However - remember, I could have totally buggered up the engine on my build....

We will see.

Gersh

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

OK,

Its been pathetically too long, but I am back to work on the CB450, now 500.

If you want to get caught up on the build from the beginning, go here:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=35057.0

But here is where it stands. I finally got the engine ready to be installed in the frame.

Gersh

1 - 20 of 135 Posts