Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to take the fork bolts out of my CB450 K5 and they seem to be stuck on the springs. I can thread them all the way out and actually see the bottom of the threads but the spring seems to be keeping them from being removed from the assembly. I dont want to force them much until I know what I am doing. I have a manual and it looks like there is a small nut which is on a damper rod that comes up to the top on a K5.
I am wondering if that somehow is causing my problem.
Can anyone help me?
Thansk, Don

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Yes...That nut is the locknut which binds/"jams" the "top bolt' (which is ALSO a cap-nut as well) on the damper rod..... Easier to see if you put a block under the engine, and raise the wheel toward the trees......(both "top bolts loose)...This will extend the dampers up enough to give access to un-jam the jam nuts... then unscrew the "top bolts" off the rods
If you have the fork off, just compress the tube down into the slider with the top nut unscrewed....It will become obvious....It is sometimes a bear to get a wrench on the jam nut, so just compress the spring down far enough to do so...then the spring will hold the wrench on for ya...larger wrench on top hex....go for it...CCW....

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I will take both bolts off and let the front down with a jack to expose the locknut. I may not get to it until tomorrow night but your comments helped me a lot. Don

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Nope...Front wheel/sliders up, or frame down ... I block under the engine, then after loosening the top bolts, I kick a 4X4 under the front tire...... The rods/springs have to come up and out relative to the tubes.....Then squirrel a wrench in on the locknut....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.