Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1972 CB450 front disk brake lever play issue

There is very little play (less than 3-4mm) on my 1972 CB450 front disk brake lever. The brakes work fine and the front wheel spins relatively freely for several rotations when spun by hand. Is the lack of play normal? I am used to a little more play in the front brakes on my Royal Enfield (with drum brakes) and other bikes in the past. I just don't want to get into a situation where I want to apply the front brake gradually and end up applying too much pressure as there is hardly any play.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Play in the lever is down to clearance at the rotor and pads, and flexibility of the piston seal; once those are set correctly, little play in the lever is normal. I have no issues modulating brake force, as it takes a bit of hand strength to get to maximum braking.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WintrSol, thank you for your input. Is it possible to adjust for more play? Or should I just get used to the disk brake the way it is and ride on..

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Sorry this took so long to answer - as far as I know, the free play in any hydraulic brake system is fixed. Personally, I like that the lever tightens quickly, so I can apply just the amount of brake I need.

I rebuilt my slave cylinder last spring - scraped out the cylinder, new seal, and fresh brake system grease on the back of new pads - made a world of difference, since there was a build-up of gunk in the cylinder. The new seal has more flex, so the pads retract the correct amount, now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts