Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured i’d just start a progress thread to keep things documented. Already deep into the bike and its been up and running. Since putting some miles on it i’ve discovered a few leaks and quirks.

Had a few oil leaks pop up. Primarily the points and tach housings. Found a pair of sealed OEM gaskets on eBay and Howards Honda here in Nashville ordered the cam seal, rocker o-rings, and tach seal for me.

After a week or so of research and reading about wether you have, or don’t have to take the engine out to replace all these parts, I decided to go ahead and leave the engine in.

I started by placing the engine at TDC and checking all 4 tappets. Loose. So I then removed the cam chain tensioner.

Took points and advancer out, then mounting screws. I gently pried the housing off with a mini bar and it came off fairly easily. Took old o-rings off and got the old cam seal out too, it was stuck tight!

The PO must have tried getting this far into the bike at some point because the points gasket was on backwards.

On the tach side the gasket was on correctly but there was a fair amount of play in in the tach cable. I got the old seal and the shaft out and cleaned up the surface.

That was all for today, gotta work this weekend and will finish it up when I get back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So after troubleshooting a problem with power and the bike dying it turns out the ground cable from the battery wasn’t making a proper ground. I made a new cable and attached it to a bolt on the engine. The bike runs just as she should! I am so relieved to have solved what I believe to be the last of my electrical issues! Battery is properly charging and the bike is idling and accelerating as it should. Also, the starter is working great now that the battery ground has proper contact!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE:

Pulled the motor this winter to fix an issue with the kickstart amongst other things. Will post more on that journey later.

While I had the bike apart, I sent my carbs in for vapor cleaning. I am amazed at how they turned out. If you live in the Middle Tennessee or surrounding area look up Moto Resurrection, Ryan is awesome and does great work!

BEFORE:

AFTER:

I just keep looking at them! They look so dang good!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.