Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I just joined Honda Twins because I inherited a 1972 CB350 from my Grandfather. The bike as been in his shed for atleast 20 years. He had it covered with a few sheets and a tarp. So far all I have done is moved it into my garage. I looked in the gas tank and it all looks pretty good. It looks like he put some wax on before storing it away. My Dad said he think the reason my Grandfather stopped riding it is because the last time he drove it, a spark plug popped out and stripped the threads in the head. I have seen people fix this with Heli coils and/or inserts. I think I will eventually remove the head and take it to a machine shop to have them install insert, as i have heard this is the best fix. I have added 4 photo of the bike from the day i pulled it out of the shed. It looks almost brandnew once i wiped some dirt and wax off of it. It has just over 3,000 original miles. It still has the original tires. My Grandfather was the 2nd owner, which makes me the 3rd. I don't even have a motorcycle license yet. I have never worked on a motorcycle before but i have work on many cars and trucks. I look forward to keeping this bike as original as possible and I will not be cutting it up or modifying it much, if at all. I'm not really sure where to start with this restoration but i guess i will remove the gas tank for further inspection and then remove and clean the carbs. After that i will attempt to do a compression test. That will hopefully give me an idea of the bike and motors potential.
Anyway, I just wanted to share my new project, and Im sure i will be asking you member lots of questions as i go because im new to all of this, and I will be looking to you all for inspiration and ideas. Thanks for reading!
Danny:)
cb350#4.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
Wow - beautiful find. Congradulations and welcome to the forum.

YES - if the Spark Plug Hole is truely stripped out then you are pulling the motor from the frame as there is no way to remove the head without removing the motor. You just can't get the clearance to bring the required parts that have to come off to remove the head over the top of the Cylinder Studs.

But a good refresh on a bike that has been sitting for 20 years is an excellent idea anyway. And the benefit is when you are done you will be able to maintain the bike yourself from the knowledge you will gain. This is important as most shops these days don't want to work on these 40 years old bikes. They just don't have the knwledge and patienace to source the parts.

Parts for the 350's are plentiful but will take some searching. Lots of people here will give you tips and share their favorite sources if you post what you need.

The one critical things you REALLY NEED is a Factory Service Manual (FSM) as you will see it called here.

This can be downloaded from the Common Motor Collective's web site see link below:

Vintage Honda Motorcycle Manuals | Common Motor Collective

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Wow !! Very nice to be able to have and ride your grandfathers bike.
Good luck and welcome to the boards.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
Really nice looking bike. You don't see a lot of bikes as original as that (including paint etc). This is how my 350 must have looked like in its day (looking at the faded and dented fork ears).

Dan I agree with you - keep this one original and just get it mechanically sound and safe (that means new brake shoes and tires).

·
Registered
272 Posts
Wow the orange still really popping

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
That Gold CB350K4 is exactly like mine when I bought it garage-kept from new;I had an extra thing to deal w/ though which was heavy crash damage but it's a 'done deal' now :) Nice Bike !

·
Registered
4 Posts
1971 cb350

i recently bought a 1971 cb350 i think? Seems like it runs well I'm not to handy with Motorcycles but I'm willing to learn. I don't have money to take it to a mechanic so I'm trying my luck here. Iv noticed on the right spark plug there seems to be some liquid leaking out. Not a whole lot but its definitely noticeable compared to the other side. Also i can hear a clicking in the carb while idling and riding which also causes the headlight to dim. Any ideas? greatly appreciated.

·
Sensei
27,069 Posts
Wow....Where to start.......
Right plug liquid is likely oil from the tach drive seal, but could be a seeping gasket or bad sparkplug threads in the head....Check them all....

"Clicking" NEAR the carb is likely a tappet adjustment to fix...... The only possible clicking IN the carb would be the choke butterfly flap... (broken spring, and/or choke at least partially on)

Dim headlight can be weak battery, weak grounds, and/or weak charging system components or wiring connections....

See checklist for "that new to you old bike".......(use search)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

Thanks guy! Im excited to start. I need to clean a spot in my garage just so i can get started. It looks good in the picture i used for my profile but up close you can see more chrome pitting. I dont think its anything that wont polish out though. I will post more pictures as i start working and im sure i will be needing a lot of advice from eveyone on here. I do have the orinigal clymer service manual and i was also able to find large cut away diagram photos with lots of detail on the internet that included all of the part numbers as well. so i printed all of those out and put together my own binder with all the info. So all i need now is some spare time and a clean working spot, and i'll be ready. Thanks again for the support!!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Dan. Looks like a good find from where I'm sitting.

·
Registered
296 Posts
That's quite a fine bike you have there. A real beauty.
My 72 is teal. As soon as I can I'll post some pics. Im new here as well and havent quite gotten the gist

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey. So i just started tinkering with the bike. I drained the oil. took off and inspected the fuel tank and took a quick look inside the carbs. I'm feeling pretty good. The tank is in pretty good shape. I have heard of using vinegar to remove rust and then using a inline fuel filter when i get the bike running again. I have heard about using "kream" to seal the tank but i have no experience with this at all, so any tips are greatly appreciated. The oil has been in the bike since at least before 1994 so over 20 years. It looked very good for being that old. The air filters were very clean. I know next to nothing about the carburetors on this bike but they look fairly good. I'm going to take them apart soon and do a cleaning and rebuilding. The carb on the left side of the bike is sticking when i open it. it wont open and close freely so Im sure it has some crud in it. I noticed that i will have to put a new wire connector on the ground wire for the battery. it has been corroded. Im going to post pictures. Im not even sure if im using this forum correctly. O-well! thanks for reading!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The tank and side covers. I just wiped them down with a cloth. They look good, cant wait to see them after being buffed. all original paint.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
20150417_173029.jpg

Left side carb i think. This one is stick and wont move freely. i still need to take the bowls off and inspect the internals. But im optimistic.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts