Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I just picked up the gaskets and o-ring needed for my 72 CB350 petcock. I was wondering if anyone out there has replaced these before that could possibly give me some advice. I have tried researching online and I'm not having much luck, other than I found a guy that had the part numbers listed which is how I found out what I needed. Do I need to pull the tank or can I simply drain it and then remove the petcock?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
wickworx said:
Hello all,
I just picked up the gaskets and o-ring needed for my 72 CB350 petcock. I was wondering if anyone out there has replaced these before that could possibly give me some advice. I have tried researching online and I'm not having much luck, other than I found a guy that had the part numbers listed which is how I found out what I needed. Do I need to pull the tank or can I simply drain it and then remove the petcock?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
You can just drain the fuel and remove the petcock, it's actually easier that way. There is not much advise to give other than to pay attention to what order things come apart. Us a little silicone grease where the moving metal parts rub and you should be fine. I don't recall if that model has the wavy spring or not but if it does, don't loose it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right on Mike. Thank you! Here goes, I'll post some pics when I'm done.

BTW - Is your avatar picture your 68 cl350? It looks beautiful, do you have any pictures of the bike posted anywhere?

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update: the petcock rebuild went well and all is fine. I'll post some pics as soon as I upload in case anyone wants to see it all apart for reference.

Mike, your CL is a beauty! Thanks for posting the link to the pictures. Did you completely restore it yourself?

·
Registered
66 Posts
yes, please post pictures if you can! it would be much appreciated.. im trying to rebuild my petcock right now, but it still leaks like a siv. rubber gasket is replaced but im still wondering about the "wavy spring" and wondering about it losing its temper.. ?? if anyone has insight to this, that would be awesome. it is definitely coming from the toggle, so im stuck wondering how to stop this thing! thanks guys!.. oh and the spring/washer goes between the toggle and gasket.. or toggle and on/off/reserve plate?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Matt, sorry for the lag in response! I will post photos tonight if possible. I can let you know that the spring washer goes between the toggle and the plate and NOT the toggle and the gasket. I know this because the fist time I put it back together I had it between the toggle and the gasket. I thought I was good to go, started filling her up and gas just gushed out! I paid close attention when I took it apart but I didn't trust my memory when putting it back together because it seemed like it should have been the other way. Oops!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ack! The thread stops just when I thought it would tell me how to solve my problem! lol

I have the same problem. I'm replacing the gasket and spring on my cb350G petcock. I ordered Honda parts, drained the tank and replaced. I got them in the correct order: plate, spring, lever, gasket, and screwed it back together tightly. Loaded gas into the tank - and the petcock dribbles gas, especially when in the
"off" position.

One thing I noticed is that the gasket has one larger hole than the other 3. Also on the petcock body there are three openings and one pin. The bottom opening (used in the "on" petcock position, apparently) has a lip around it. Obviously one hole fits around the pin, another is held in place by the lip.

Which one is for the bigger gasket hole? I tried it two ways: once over the pin, the other time over the "lipped" opening.

Each time I get gas dribbling out.

Do I need to put sealer or grease on it? Is that the problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
It no longer dribbles, but I have no idea why not. I just took it apart and put it back together piece by piece in the same way. I put the bigger gasket hole over the low opening - the one with the lip, the same as before.

Seems to work ok, but I haven't turned the engine over yet, the battery needs charging. Always something, right?

·
Registered
91 Posts
William,

You are correct, the largest hole goes over the bottom hole with the lip. IIRC, the upper hole is from the main tank feed (the brass tube sticking up), the middle hole is out to the carbs, and the lower hole (the one with the lip) is the reserve tank feed (the one with the copper screen). You're also correct in the assembly order. It may help to GENTLY 'tweak' the spring so that it's a little tighter against the lever; these things tend to wear out over time.

Mine currently does the same thing, leaking in all positions, even "off"... but only sometimes! On a recent trip to town, it leaked enough in a 5-minute stop to leave a platter-sized puddle on the ground. When I got home, it continued to leak, so I drained the tank and disassembled/reassembled the petcock. I refilled it with gas, and it didn't leak. After a bit of riding, it leaked again. Who knows! I guess I have to order the gasket, as well.

·
Registered
209 Posts
As I too have a CB350K4, I had to replace gaskets on the petcock. One reason you will see " dribble " is due to the face plate which holds the On/Off/reserve lever in place, this plate Needs to be perfectly Flat. Even though you just have the two screws holding the plate to the lever, the lever needs to flat against the gasket. one way is to put the plate in a vise to flatten, it did work for me and cured the leak/dribble problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts