Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a Shop manual of some sort - but it seems to be for the 1968 model year. I don't know what the difference would be for the '72 I have in the garage. Can I use this manual? Or if anyone has a copy of the '72 FSM I'd greatly appreciate some help there.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
there are many similarities and a few differences... whether or not you can use it, depends on what you are trying to do

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just trying to work through the "New to Me" checklist. What about electrical though? Are the wiring diagrams for the '68 going to work for me? I ask, b/c as I dig into it, I'm finding some 'interesting' wiring solutions.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Just trying to work through the "New to Me" checklist. What about electrical though? Are the wiring diagrams for the '68 going to work for me? I ask, b/c as I dig into it, I'm finding some 'interesting' wiring solutions.
I'm not exactly certain if there are any color differences in the wires, but I really don't believe so. The components are the same though: hand controls, horn, headlight, turn signals, stator, regulator, rectifier, etc... What kind of interesting wiring are you running into? Are you talking about interesting wiring on your bike...or interesting wiring concepts you're finding online?

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts

·
66Sprint
26,154 Posts
Scud (and others)......
There WERE some colors used differently on the pre '68 bikes....
Headlights used Red, Blue and Green vs the Blue, White, and Green we now are familiar with......
Alternators had Brown, Yellow, and Pink wires instead of Pink, Yellow, and White (original Pink connection is now White, and original Brown connection is now Pink, ...Yellow remained the same connection....)
Regulators were not generally used in pre-68 schematics.....
There were other minor discrepancies in the lighting circuit colors......

When in doubt....ask before connecting wiring improperly......They were and are still color to color, (it's just what connection each color represents that changed)

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
The 68 cb350 used the same colors as the later cb350s,
there are some differences though

no kill switch on right handlebar control... Ignition To coils
no front brake light switch
turn signal flasher mounted at battery box instead of coil mount
everything else is the same

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the help and information. I feel a lot more comfortable diving into the wiring harness now. That wiring diagram is a huge help.

As to 'interesting' wiring, I'm referring to the wiring done by some of the PO's, bare wires just twisted together, wires snipped off with no labels, aftermarket controls with no markings, among other things that I'm finding.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Thank you for all the help and information. I feel a lot more comfortable diving into the wiring harness now. That wiring diagram is a huge help.

As to 'interesting' wiring, I'm referring to the wiring done by some of the PO's, bare wires just twisted together, wires snipped off with no labels, aftermarket controls with no markings, among other things that I'm finding.
yeah, that sounds common.

as mentioned by the other guys, if you have questions, just ask...and/or post pictures of what you're finding. many heads are better than one...some of us get it wrong, some of us get it right...but sooner or later, you'll find the answer you're looking for :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts