Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty...time to start another build. This one will start out a bit slow due to a pretty aggressive honey-do list, but once it starts it will be hot and heavy.

So this is the starting platform. It didn't come with a title, but I have already rectified that with VA and I have a clean title in hand. The paint isn't nearly as good as it appears. The white stripes were painted by hand and in a lot of spots you can tell. The tank has been lined and the cross over tubes are clogged because of that. Not sure if there are pin holes or what, but I guess I will find out when I pour some MEK in the tank and go to town shaking the crap out of it.

I have worked it out with my daughter that I will fund the build and when I am done she will buy it from me. I am keeping a very detailed list of the expenses. Doing it this way will allow me to buy parts as needed and not have to wait on her to save up for them. Which should allow the build to go faster. I need to get it done before I retire while I still have a steady flow of income. While the honey-dos might keep me from working in earnest on it that doesn't stop me from looking and collecting parts for it.

I don't want to do spokes on this one. There is a guy that works next door to me that built a CB400A that needed some carb work done to one of his other bikes so I traded that along with some cash for a 78 CB400Tii front end, wheels, and swingarm (not sure if I can or will use that).

Yesterday I picked up a dual piston front caliper and mounting bracket off of an 85 VT1100C for a bit better braking. I also bought a caliper off of an 83 VF750. The caliper is the same, but the mounting bracket is different. I will use whichever caliper is in better overall condition and the bracket off of the VT1100C.

85 VT

83 VF (right center)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The rest of the brake parts came in today.

I took both of the calipers apart to inspect, do a little bit of cleaning, and get an overall consensus of which one was in better condition. Neither caliper was in bad condition, but the 83 VF750 was just a tick better so that is the one I am going to use.

Everything mounted on the fork leg and the wheel mounted. The picture isn't at the best angle, but as far as I can tell I will not have to get a different rotor. Just like on my CB750 I will send the rotor off to be ground flat and have some holes drilled in it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOOOONG time no update.

Well plans changed a bit. Instead of me building the bike and my daughter buying it from me, my daughter and I are going to build it together. I never got a chance to get started on the bike before I retired from the Navy, but that is life I guess. My daughter returns next week from her first deployment onboard the USS Harry S. Truman. Yes she followed in my footsteps and joined the Navy. This ought to prove a bit frustrating at times since I typically do all of the projects and building of things by myself so I am not sure how it is going to go working with someone else. My daughter seems anxious to get started so that is good. I guess while she is still in the anxious state I will have her do all of the dirty work of cleaning and scrubbing down the engine and shaking the tank with MEK to remove the crap that is in there.

Standby in the coming weeks for updates.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Hi Harsh,
How is your wife's nice CB350K4 going,does she ride it once in a while? I see it's in your avatar :cool: how is retirement from the Navy ?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Bill
Her bike runs and rides fantastic. She is still absolutely scared to death to ride. She just can't relax her grip and arms. It got worse after I wrecked on the track Memorial Day weekend. So much so, she is thinking about selling it.

Retirement is going well so far. It is going to take a while for me to get past no longer serving though.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Hey Bill
Her bike runs and rides fantastic. She is still absolutely scared to death to ride. She just can't relax her grip and arms. It got worse after I wrecked on the track Memorial Day weekend. So much so, she is thinking about selling it.

Retirement is going well so far. It is going to take a while for me to get past no longer serving though.

Harsh,
Possibly you can pick up a CB125S that your Wife will ride w/ less strain until she feels it's too small for her.. and then graduate to the CB350;whatever you do Keep that nice CB350K4. ;)

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I doesn't matter what size the engine is. Hell it could be a bicycle at this point, she isn't going to ride. Being scared was already bad, but my wreck really through her for a loop. I lacerated my kidney and liver, chipped a bone in my wrist, tore my rotator cuff, and was pissing blood. I spent two days in the ICU where she sat with me. She is out of the game before she even began.

I don't need to sell the bike, but doing so would fund a DRZ purchase.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For the most part yes. I get the cast off next week and have another MRI scheduled to look at the rotator cuff to see how the doc wants to proceed.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And down the rabbit hole I go.

As she sits now.

She was a leaker.

Popped the top just to take a quick look inside. Doesn't look too bad.

My daughter only got mad at me once, so that was good. She was trying to use a wrench like a screwdriver and when I got onto her about it telling her all she was going to do was strip the nut she got all huffy. Her issue was that there was a bar in her way and the engine case was directly above and she couldn't get to the nut. I told her to work smarter not harder. Go below the bar to get to the nut. She was trying to loosen the bottom rear bolt that holds the engine to the frame.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think it's great the two of you are working together, I've got some good memories of doing work on my car with my dad when I was younger. And as my mom might say, if she's ever difficult to work with, she gets it from you :D

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, I am not kidding myself. I know there are definitely going to be some difficult times ahead. There are a lot of things I absolutely have to have done with extreme precision and at a rapid pace. Neither of which she excels in. But hopefully she learns something and we make some good memories together.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The daughter has duty today, but I thought I would do a little mundane work in order to speed things along later. Since I forgot to drain the oil before we pulled the engine I figured I would rig up some way to do that without getting oil everywhere. Accomplished that easily. Went to pop off the side covers to drain them...yah not so easy. Instead of a gasket the last person that was in the engine used sealant. It took me an hour using a razor blade to slice through that crap. After I got the vast majority of oil out of the engine I hosed it down with some engine degreaser and am letting it sit overnight. There was so much crap built up where the front sprocket is and inside the points housing it was crazy.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
The daughter has duty today, but I thought I would do a little mundane work in order to speed things along later. Since I forgot to drain the oil before we pulled the engine I figured I would rig up some way to do that without getting oil everywhere. Accomplished that easily. Went to pop off the side covers to drain them...yah not so easy. Instead of a gasket the last person that was in the engine used sealant. It took me an hour using a razor blade to slice through that crap. After I got the vast majority of oil out of the engine I hosed it down with some engine degreaser and am letting it sit overnight. There was so much crap built up where the front sprocket is and inside the points housing it was crazy.
I hope they didn't use silicone gasket 'goop' on it Steven :eek:,that stuff will plug up all the oil passages. That was probably dirty enough to require a 'grease pit'.. sometimes I would like to have one.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alrighty...got half of the engine apart today. I am pretty sure I know why it was leaking. The head bolts were barely tight. I think whoever was in the engine before didn't torque down a thing. One of the bolts that holds the cam gear to the cam was about half way backed off when I went to remove it. You can actually see the head of the bolt in the picture I posted earlier looking down at the cam. Even after a good scrub down it is still pretty filthy. It is going to require A LOT of degreaser and elbow grease to get it ready for future work.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dropped some coin the other day stuff to rebuild the engine. Gasket kit, oil seal kit, piston rings, spark plug covers, spark plugs, and a stainless steel bolt kit. Some of the other stuff I wanted to order was out of stock. I don't really need those parts until I go to install the engine so I can wait a little bit.

Most of the engine parts came in today. I received everything except the bolt kit.

I was able to get the cases split in half today. My daughter missed out since she found it more important to go to the mall than to work with me. It was a a bit dirty inside and I keep finding little pieces of the gasket maker crap inside the engine. I am going to have to go over the pieces very well to make sure I get all of that crap removed. I would hate to get everything back together only to have a piece of that crap block an oil passage. There was a bunch of it in the centrifugal oil filter.

There is still lots of scrubbing inside and out that needs to be accomplished before I can even think about doing any media blasting.

Thick sludge at the bottom.

When I was removing the windage tray one of the screws stripped out. After I drilled and cut most of he hear away and was using a cold chisel to remove the remaining part the boss/post that the screw goes into snapped off. It made a clean brake at the bottom of the case so no harm no foul. There are only two screws and three "riveted pieces. I remove the riveted pieces and drill/tap them for screws anyways so there will be plenty of support.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My daughter spent a couple of days scrubbing it down. She said she hated me when I kept finding pockets of grease that she needed to remove before we could bead blast.

Attempted to bead blast the engine last night. I have a buddy that works at the ships yards and they have some bead blasters. So we swung by there last night. What a huge waste of time. Only one of their blast cabinets would move any material and it was pathetic at best. So now I have to find another source to get it done. They do have a very large blaster that works phenomenally well. It is like a fire hose with blast media coming out of it. Way too rough for an engine, but will work perfectly for the frame and some other stuff. I used it on the inside of a fender that was badly rusted and had the chrome flaking off. That thing is clean as a whistle now.

1 - 20 of 371 Posts