Honda Twins banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some new tires for my 1972 CB175. The tire specs are listed as Front:2.75-18 and Rear:3.00-18 and I'm having a lot of trouble finding some good tires.

I'd like to keep the vintage look (see attached pic). And, that's where I'm running into problems. Can anyone give me (a complete newb) some general tire buying advice, maybe some URL's, for these old Hondas?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, after a long hard search, I'm finding that it's not easy finding tires for these smaller bikes is not easy.

The best I can find is a Michelin Gazelle. Which is actually a scooter/moped tire but, it has a pretty nice look, comes in a variety of smaller sizes, and is pretty common. They are pretty cheap, so that worries me a bit. But, I'm not going to be racing this bike, just in town, in traffic riding. Tops, I'll get the bike up to 55 - 60 mph on the highway.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Moped/ and most scooter) tires are ONLY nominally acceptable for street use UNDER 45MPH......
There ARE more suitable, streetable tires available for your 175....
Try Dennis Kirk......
IRC NR 21 rear under $40....IRC NR53 front under $20... good to 93MPH

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, thanks 66Sprint. I didn't think much of the "moped" label on the Michelin Gazelles because they have a "P" speed rating. But, I would certainly rather spend a little more though for the IRC's though. You get what you pay for.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Those IRC's are "P" rated as well...... Michelin is a quality name... It was the "moped' part that scared me....

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The "moped" worried me a bit too. Until I saw the P rating. So, on that front, yeah they are equal to the IRC's. I've never used IRC's before. Anyone have any good or bad experience with them? For that matter, anyone out there running these Michelin Gazelle's on their 125 - 200?

Thanks again for the input 66Sprint.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been running the Michelin Gazelles on my '71 CL175 for a couple hundred miles. I just ride it around town, but the tires work just fine. 2.75 X 18 front and a 3.00 X18 rear. Both tires are reinforced.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, 72. Thanks for the input. Sounds like I'll be getting a pair of those Michelins soon.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jayrampai said:
Front: IRC Front/Rear NR53 2.75P-17 Blackwall Tire

Rear: IRC Rear NR-21 3.00P-17 Blackwall Tire
Wow, old topic to revive. Forgot that I even posted this. My CB175 has 18" rims, not 17. I'd verify your rim diameter before purchasing the tires you linked to above.

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, you'll need inner tubes, and you should replace your rim band at the same time. All wheels with spokes require an inner tube. Basically the rim can't be sealed because of the 40 holes created by the spokes. Has very little to do with the tire.

Here's the tire sizes that match the stock spec:
Front: 2.75-18 (80/90-18 in modern sizing terminology)
Rear: 3.00-18 (90/90-18 in modern sizing terminology)

If you want to use any size outside of those, make sure they are 18" diameter (for stock rims) and height and width will fit on your set up. Here's what modern tire sizes mean:
Example 80/90-18:
80 = Tread width in mm
90 = Sidewall height as a percentage of the width. In this example the height is 90% of 80mm or 72mm
18 = Rim Diameter. If there's a R before this number it means Radial

So, yes you can get a size different from stock, just make sure you check all the clearances first.

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
specbebop said:
Yes, you'll need inner tubes, and you should replace your rim band at the same time. All wheels with spokes require an inner tube. Basically the rim can't be sealed because of the 40 holes created by the spokes. Has very little to do with the tire.

Here's the tire sizes that match the stock spec:
Front: 2.75-18 (80/90-18 in modern sizing terminology)
Rear: 3.00-18 (90/90-18 in modern sizing terminology)

If you want to use any size outside of those, make sure they are 18" diameter (for stock rims) and height and width will fit on your set up. Here's what modern tire sizes mean:
Example 80/90-18:
80 = Tread width in mm
90 = Sidewall height as a percentage of the width. In this example the height is 90% of 80mm or 72mm
18 = Rim Diameter. If there's a R before this number it means Radial

So, yes you can get a size different from stock, just make sure you check all the clearances first.

its more complicated than just translating sizes.
you'll need to make sure that the tires you choose are recommended by the tire manufacturer for your rim width.
most modern tires, even though they may calculate to similar sizes as the old system, require wider rims

to be certain, get the correct size tire listed in your owners manual. they are sill readily available and save you from having to do proper research

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just this week I found 2 tires for my CB200t project bike.
I wanted to keep it as original as possible and don't want tubeless tires on that little bike.

Found Korean made Shinko tires, 2.78x18 and 300x18 www.smalltires.com
Shipped fast and prices were good.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Just to be clear you can only put tubeless tyres on comstar or later wheels approved for them.
Any rim with spokes MUST have a tube. If you try it without, you will spend for ever, trying to inflate the tyre with the air escaping through the spoke holes ;)

Of course if you have a leaking tubless wheel with a tubless tyre you can add then use a tube. It works that way round

1 - 18 of 18 Posts