Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 72' CB 450 Twin I am trying to get running and am a total novice when it comes to working on old bikes.

In fact I had a mechanic working on it recently but he no longer can work on it so I am back at the reins.

Here is the current condition / symptoms that I need to troubleshoot...

-Ignition switch is most likely bad as when key is jiggled the lights will flicker on and off and bike will only turn on sparaticly.

-Once bike is running, it does not stay running without some throttle applied

-Bike does not charge the battery when running for several minutes , ( battery goes dead continually, but battery is new and good)

So where would someone start ....

If I upgrade to a electronic ignition does that require a different ignition switch or will the stock switch still be used for on/off?

I also saw that Oregonmotorcycleparts.com has modern rectifiers to replace the factory ones on the bike.

Some direction and order of priority would be much appreciated ....

Thanks

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
sxv801 said:
I have a 72' CB 450 Twin I am trying to get running and am a total novice when it comes to working on old bikes.

In fact I had a mechanic working on it recently but he no longer can work on it so I am back at the reins.

Here is the current condition / symptoms that I need to troubleshoot...

-Ignition switch is most likely bad as when key is jiggled the lights will flicker on and off and bike will only turn on sparaticly.
Replace the switch or "jump" black to red to keep power on...

-Once bike is running, it does not stay running without some throttle applied
Clean and adjust carbs...Also, a weak battery can cause this condition

-Bike does not charge the battery when running for several minutes , ( battery goes dead continually, but battery is new and good)
After going "dead" several times, a battery is neither new or good....Bike requires 2000+ RPM to even start charging above use level, and more than several minutes of run time...Find out what is draining the battery...

So where would someone start ....

If I upgrade to a electronic ignition does that require a different ignition switch...No... or will the stock switch still be used for on/off?...Yes...

I also saw that Oregonmotorcycleparts.com has modern rectifiers to replace the factory ones on the bike. fix the obvious problems first, then check the charging circuit.... (a "bad" battery will "take" but not "hold" a charge...

Some direction and order of priority would be much appreciated ....

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts