Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1971 Honda CB450 K4 For Sale

THE BIKE IS NOW SOLD--THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR INTEREST AND INFO.

Beautiful original 1971 CB450 with just 9.484 miles. Recently (and lovingly) completed cosmetic and mechanical freshening (not restored), this is a squeaky clean CB with mild patina that’s ready for both rides and shows.

All original paint with exception of the headlamp bucket and support brackets (these are new parts, I have the originals). The chrome on the fenders, rims and handlebar shows minimal pitting—you have to look close to see any. The rear rim is marked from tire changes but I have a spare in excellent condition that goes with the bike.

The fuel tank is in great shape. It has a couple of small dents which can be easily fixed by a good paintless dent removal service. The paint is a little faded on top (apparently common on these bikes) and there are a few small chips but as you can see in the photos, it still presents very well. It’s clean inside, too.

The bike runs & rides excellent with no issues and no leaks. Everything works just as it should. The engine is in supremely nice shape. Gearbox works perfectly, backed by a smooth new clutch. Engine oil is fresh and the centrifugal filter was removed and cleaned. Valve clearances and cam chain tensioner adjusted.

There are no signs of the bike ever going down. The frame, fork and swing arm are all straight and in beautiful shape. Tires are recent with no cracks and lots of tread remaining. Front brake fluid replaced and new brake lever installed.

New parts (all OEM):
• Clutch discs
• Clutch cable
• Clutch lever
• Handlebar grips & foot peg rubbers
• Drive chain
• Fork boots
• Fuel petcock
• Fuel tank cap
• Tail light lens

Changes from stock:
• New H4 headlight with black bucket (have original in red)
• Upgraded regulator/rectifier (needed for new headlight)
• Black painted OEM headlamp supports (have originals in red)
• Aftermarket turn signals (have originals)
• Side cover badges from 1970 CB450 (have originals)
• Bar-end mirrors (have originals)

Includes a few spares, including a new handlebar with lower profile, an excellent rear rim, and all original parts that have been removed (as mentioned above), including rear foot pegs. Also includes a new bike cover, service manuals and owner’s manual. Clean title and registration up to date.

Additional photos can be viewed on my Craigslist ad: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/mcy/d/1971-honda-cb450-cb-450/6398043974.html

Asking $3,650 OBO

Contact Brad at 310-245-0139, or [email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
You know, usually I'd jump all over someone for posting a for sale as their first post... But this bike looks really nice and the ad is very well written and thorough. One question, did you place the rear brake pads?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Yep, it would be a nice purchase. Absolutely a nice bike, looks like a survivor (except for the black headlight stays and bucket, OEM was painted tank color) with just enough done to it to make it a nice original - but the first thing I'd check would be the oil for fuel dilution... petcock is on, so you wonder about the current owner's habits. Maybe he hasn't had any problem with that potential situation, but we all know the potential for disaster there. Like when I bought mine about a year ago over 50 miles from my house and the PO's ad said "ride it home" - glad I didn't.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Original it is not (see turn signals, headlight bucket, black fork ears, black taillight mount)

But it's still a nice looking bike.

Reactions: jd50i

·
Registered
590 Posts
A nice looking bike indeed! I did a google image search, and it appears that the taillight mount is supposed to be black.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
A nice looking bike indeed! I did a google image search, and it appears that the taillight mount is supposed to be black.

You're right. It did have a black taillight mount. My bad.

Reactions: danno

·
Registered
539 Posts
Beautiful bike and worth the price especially in So Cal. I was going to pass on by but, a large part of forums of this type is to share knowledge with those less experienced or less fortunate than others re: rebuilding these old beauties. If you could share some of your experience - as a builder and/or seller - it would be helpful to those looking to buy from the members.

Not trying to bust your chops, seriously, just saying give us a little in return if this is your CL ad.

If I'm outta line, ppl, let me know. I've been away for a while.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You know, usually I'd jump all over someone for posting a for sale as their first post... But this bike looks really nice and the ad is very well written and thorough. One question, did you place the rear brake pads?
Hi guys,
As a newbie, I'm probably going to make some mistakes with my posting and replies to questions and comments, but here goes:

I did not replace the rear brake shoes.

I never leave the fuel petcock on when parking for any length of time. It was on in the photos as I hurried to catch the light from the setting sun, then I jumped on the bike and headed home (and shut off the petcock!).

As mentioned in the ad, the only non-original items on the bike are black painted headlamp brackets, black headlamp, side cover badges, turn signals and mirrors. I have ALL of the original parts in a box that goes with the bike.

For a little background, I am a former racing technician and automotive engineer, but now working at American Honda Motors in public relations. I love working on my vehicles and bringing old ones back to life. This was a fun project.
One of the surprises during the refurbishment was how many parts are still available from Honda. Lots of engine and chassis pieces, although no bodywork. Prices are reasonable, too.
I had a worry with a noise on the right side that turned out to be just a very loose intake valve clearance. It's quiet now.

I welcome any questions about the bike. If you are seriously interested in buying, please give me a call.
Thank you!
Brad
310-245-0139

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
One of the surprises during the refurbishment was how many parts are still available from Honda. Lots of engine and chassis pieces, although no bodywork. Prices are reasonable, too.
Brad, nice of you to explain. the bike looks great, nice combination of surviving parts and good work. glad you know not to leave the petcock on all the time, the 450s were notorious for causing engine damage to those who were not aware. I have to question your statement above, however, with regard to availability and prices of OEM parts... maybe the dealers out in your area, maybe because of connections you have due to your employment, but I can tell you that here in Florida, the biggest local dealer nearest me - and I've been saddened over the years watching the Tampa area go from 3 healthy Honda dealers down to one with 3 of the 4 brands of Japanese bikes combined in one showroom - has nothing for the 450s in stock, always says that nothing is available (obsolete) and their markup on what few OEM parts they have for later machines (like mid-80s Hondas) seems to be as high as ever or worse, at the level of outrageous. If you could be of some form of conduit for those of us who live near an uncooperative, dare I say attitude-laden dealer, that would be an awesome contribution to the needs of Honda twins owners here - perhaps a list of dealers we could call that you are aware of who still have some stock or are willing to source it at the reasonable pricing you've alluded to

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tom,

I'm lucky to be able to purchase parts directly from American Honda with an employee discount from MSRP, so I don't have dealer names to offer as resources. Fortunately, dealers can still order whatever parts are still available in Honda warehouses but sadly, some push their prices way up over MSRP. I have seen this play out with cars I have owned. For example, I am a BMW enthusiast and parts at my local dealer are absurdly expensive. But through forums and other online research, I found a dealer in Atlanta with prices that consistently beat everyone else. I also found an online catalog for BMW parts. So my suggestion is to make use of the larger online Honda motorcycle community to help locate dealers around the country that charge fair prices and are willing to look up the obscure parts. There has to be some out there. I just bought a 2000 Super Hawk and have started researching things on that bike. I will probe the Super Hawk forum for dealers with good reputations.

Cheers,
Brad

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Tom,

I'm lucky to be able to purchase parts directly from American Honda with an employee discount from MSRP, so I don't have dealer names to offer as resources. Fortunately, dealers can still order whatever parts are still available in Honda warehouses but sadly, some push their prices way up over MSRP. I have seen this play out with cars I have owned. For example, I am a BMW enthusiast and parts at my local dealer are absurdly expensive. But through forums and other online research, I found a dealer in Atlanta with prices that consistently beat everyone else. I also found an online catalog for BMW parts. So my suggestion is to make use of the larger online Honda motorcycle community to help locate dealers around the country that charge fair prices and are willing to look up the obscure parts. There has to be some out there. I just bought a 2000 Super Hawk and have started researching things on that bike. I will probe the Super Hawk forum for dealers with good reputations.

Cheers,
Brad
You're lucky, indeed - wish we all had that access. I used to back in the day when I'd worked for all of the local dealers at one time or another, but those days - and people - are long since gone. thanks for the clarification

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Yep, it would be a nice purchase. Absolutely a nice bike, looks like a survivor (except for the black headlight stays and bucket, OEM was painted tank color) with just enough done to it to make it a nice original - but the first thing I'd check would be the oil for fuel dilution... petcock is on, so you wonder about the current owner's habits. Maybe he hasn't had any problem with that potential situation, but we all know the potential for disaster there. Like when I bought mine about a year ago over 50 miles from my house and the PO's ad said "ride it home" - glad I didn't.
Tom, The float valves on my K5 don't shut off all the time. When that happens the bowls overflow through the overflow tubes and the bike pees all over the ground. the right carb is worse than the left. It has Keyster float valves. I went through the sets of carbs for this bike. All six of the overflow tubes were clogged. There should be no reason for a leaky float valve to run gas down into the crankcase.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Tom, The float valves on my K5 don't shut off all the time. When that happens the bowls overflow through the overflow tubes and the bike pees all over the ground. the right carb is worse than the left. It has Keyster float valves. I went through the sets of carbs for this bike. All six of the overflow tubes were clogged. There should be no reason for a leaky float valve to run gas down into the crankcase.
Jim, you may have had better results, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that during my time at the dealerships I came across many 450s that sat with the petcock left on and had gas in the oil. One was bad enough that the overfull condition caused it to spit out of the breather tube, of course, in front of the rear wheel. I'm not saying it's rampant among all 450s, I'm simply saying that I've seen it happen enough times to always make sure to shut off the fuel when the bike sits - regardless for how long. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here who has mentioned it as well. Better safe than sorry, I guess, is what I'm saying

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Good to know.. thanks
I checked coast to coast shipping.... it ain't cheap..prices me out ...
DAMN!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Online Parts Catalogs

You're lucky, indeed - wish we all had that access. I used to back in the day when I'd worked for all of the local dealers at one time or another, but those days - and people - are long since gone. thanks for the clarification

Perhaps you already know about this, but Western Honda in Scottsdale, AZ has parts catalogs for Honda motorcycles on their website that date back to 1959. Obviously helpful for chasing down parts and part numbers. I have no idea about their prices but would not be surprised if reasonable.
Western Honda Powersports- Honda Dealers 50 years In AZ Motorcycles ATVs Sales Parts Service & Repair

Cheers
Brad

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Perhaps you already know about this, but Western Honda in Scottsdale, AZ has parts catalogs for Honda motorcycles on their website that date back to 1959. Obviously helpful for chasing down parts and part numbers. I have no idea about their prices but would not be surprised if reasonable.
Western Honda Powersports- Honda Dealers 50 years In AZ Motorcycles ATVs Sales Parts Service & Repair

Cheers
Brad
So many websites don't show up in searches, I'm not sure I've seen this one before - so thanks for the tip. I'll be checking with them next time I need something OEM

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
to the OP,

Gorgeous ride! Thanks for sharing with us. Side note: My wife sometimes trolls around and spots restored 450s in my color scheme and proudly boasts I could get $ one day. Ha! I reminded her it takes $$$ just to get $$. ;p
Good luck with it and feel free to post an update.

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
Just so you know, that is a 1970 bike, not a 1971. It may be titled as 1971 because, when it was new, it didn't sell until the following year. That happened a lot back then. You can verify by looking at the manufacture date on the S/N plate attached to the steering neck.

Reactions: danno
1 - 20 of 23 Posts