Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be repainting a 1971 CL450 within the next week or so and was wondering if anyone has a template for that black design that is on the side of the gas tank. It's the one with the spike thing that points downward. If no one does, could anyone take a high resolution picture of said tank with a ruler next to it for sizing? Thanks a lot.

Also quick exhaust question, the bushing (I think it's asbestos) or whatever it is that goes where the top exhaust pipe mates into the larger portion of the exhaust broke apart on me when I got the exhaust ceramic coated. Is there anyway to find a replacement or suitable substitute for this?

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
Muffler bandage material from the auto parts store....Don't use the hardener, just wrap and trim....

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
PokeJoe said:
I'm going to be repainting a 1971 CL450 within the next week or so and was wondering if anyone has a template for that black design that is on the side of the gas tank. It's the one with the spike thing that points downward. If no one does, could anyone take a high resolution picture of said tank with a ruler next to it for sizing? Thanks a lot.
Check out this site. I don't see the '71 model but you might call them and ask if they have what you're looking for.

http://www.cbdecals.afegraphics.com/ind ... cat_id=261

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was planning on taking one of my 71 CL450 tanks up to my friend who makes signs and decals and see if he can make me a mask for the 71 so I can paint it like the factory, I have seen decals for them but I want to have the design painted instead of a decal. Send a PM if you might be interested in a mask if he can make it.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
stangnutz said:
I was planning on taking one of my 71 CL450 tanks up to my friend who makes signs and decals and see if he can make me a mask for the 71 so I can paint it like the factory, I have seen decals for them but I want to have the design painted instead of a decal. Send a PM if you might be interested in a mask if he can make it.
If you get one of the decals your friend can scan the decal and then cut the mask from the decal design.

If you clear coat the decal you won't have any lifting problems and unless you slide your finger over the design, you won't know it's a decal. I painted my tank in my drive way using a decal and it turned out well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I found a guy selling decals, but I wanted to paint mine on and already had the paint. I used the little sample image from the decal sale page, measured my tank, and resided it to fit my tank.

Then I taped it in place and traced the edges with pinstripe tape. To do the bottom stripe, I traced the inside edge of the bottom line with two more rows of tape and pulled out the middle strip.

Wrapped the tank like a Christmas present and sprayed the black, waited about 30 minutes and pulled off the tape, then cleared it after it fully dried.

Here's what it looked like before I did anything to it. The tank originally off the bike had some leaks so I just went and bought one off eBay.

If anyone wants to try this method I can send you the image file that I sized to my tank. Just need to print and cut it.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Good job, it looks nice. Will you be putting the Honda badge back on?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah. Whatever year the donor tank was had the colors of the badge reversed from the '71 and the paint was flaking a bit, so I stripped and repainted them with acrylic. I did the same with my sidecover emblems but I didn't take pictures of the tank badges.

They looked like this before, I filled in the holes that were drilled in one of the badges because the PO broke off the mounting pins. I think the red bit was colored in with sharpie and the black paint on the one that is painted is poorly applied and was running over the top of the letters.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The side cover badges appear to be chromed plastic. I ran mine under a buffing wheel really lightly (try on a back piece first to make sure it doesn't take any chrome off) and stripped off the sharpie/old paint with lacquer thinner. I blew them dry with an air compressor and just brush painted them. Use pretty thin coats or your paint will pool up in the edges and look kinda uneven.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry about the double post, but does anyone know where I can get replacements for the screws that hold the side-covers on that go through the emblems? They have the large heads and a single slot. The PO lost one of them and had a bolt with a washer in there, and I may have lost the other one while shuffling parts around.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bumping this with another question, I figure that's better than just making a new thread every time.

I just remembered that the air filters that came on the bike had a tear in one of them (not the original airboxes). I want to get a set of foam filters to replace them but I don't know which ones are any good or what size I need. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I searched for replacment side cover screws but quickly learned that they are very hard to come buy. So I went to the hardware store, purchased some m6 x 10 screws and some washers and they look pretty dang good. As for the filter I run uni foam filters in place of the stock boxes (did not rejet but kept the stock 71 130 main jet setup in place)

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
There are replacement sidecover screws available on Ebay. They're quite expensive for what they are but they're stainless...

GB :mrgreen:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts