Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, thought I would introduce myself and the bike and this seems like a good way to keep track of my progress for myself as well as others. I also hope this helps to inspire me to keep at it with some amount of accountability from anyone who may be interested. That said, I'll get to it!

I found the bike on CL from a guy who has been racing/building bikes since he was a kid and he seems to be a great local resource for instruction as well as parts; he even offered me the use of his shop since I don't have all the special tools, compressor(s), media blaster, etc. required to get this bike into the shape I would like. He rode it a bit before he tore it down and said that everything works on it with regard to electronics, both cylinders checked out at 150 psi (which he checked several times) and he even rebuilt and repainted the carbs and gave me a CB350 exhaust that's in great shape. Stay tuned for more as I make progress, cheers!

Below are some pix:

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,160 Posts
Not to throw a damper into your project, but 150PSI is renew the rings time....However, you can always ride it as-is and rebuild the engine over the winter.......Looks like your project is getting off to a good start..... :D Steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up Steve...I think I'll continue ahead without doing the rings and save that for the winter. I'm definitely taking my time which is a good feeling because my typical MO is a race to the finish no matter how sloppy things turn out.

I've bought new tires, all balls fork seals, wheel and stem bearings and swing arm bushings from David Silver Spares. Can't wait to finish the frame and swingarm so I can start getting things back together. My plan is to build from the frame up; once I get it painted I'm going to start cleaning & painting parts as I install them. I figure this will give the frame paint a good amount of time to harden and set before I start wrenching on it and knicking it (hope to not but it's almost inevitable). I'm going with the satin black from eastwood on the frame, wheels, rear fender and forks and I think a British racing green on the front fender and tank.

Below are some pix as of last night; this is just a first-stage primer that's nice and thick to fill in any pitting that might've occurred. It had a bit even after using a paint stripper and rust remover. I sanded off as much as I could and eventually went over the whole frame with a scotchbrite...left it nice & smooth to prime on and it looks great. Next I'm going to sand it down with a high grit sandpaper then touch up any spots I missed with this primer. After that I plan to hit it with another primer I got from Eastwood that is hard as nails. Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally got back to this thing after a long break during which I started flying airplanes and learned to bulid guitar amps. Had a buddy blast and powdercoat my rims, front & rear shocks, swingarm, triple tree & and brake hubs. Had wheels laced & trued then tires mounted and did some more rust destruction this weekend with a damn good rattle can finish. Next up is painting the triple tree upper when it arrives in the mail early this week; lost the original somehow in the past 4 years and getting my chassis rolling with engine & exhaust mounted up.
1382282_278088912352595_10853444_n.jpg rear sprocket dirty.jpg 1493152_278088932352593_2012962512_n.jpg 1613935_276454342516052_841621736_n.jpg photo (2).JPG .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also hit the engine with some high temp rustoleum and it came out looking pretty great.

IMG_0219.JPG IMG_0220.JPG IMG_0221.JPG IMG_0222.JPG IMG_0223.JPG

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just cleaned them up as well as I possibly could. Degrease, let dry, scotchbrite, steel wool, degrease, let dry then paint. not flawless but I'm pretty impressed with the outcome.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
the teeth are wave shapped...Longdistancerider is correct

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gotcha; thanks for the info boys.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Might as well replace the front while I'm at it.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
you should always replace front and rear sprockets along with the chain as a set since they wear together. if you don't the new pieces will quickly wear to match the worn piece,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Noted; good idea then since I've already gotten a new chain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts