Honda Twins banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

I found a fantastic condition 1971 cl350. He says everything is running perfect, No dents, paint chips and everything sound. Would $2300 be good or is this asking to much? About 10k miles on it. I've bought one 5 years ago for $1200 but wasn't in this running or cosmetic condition.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Looking at a foot of snow in my back yard (and another foot coming by the weekend) I can't really think of a bike I would give $2300 for today.

Were I looking out at your back yard I might feel differently.

A $2300 CB350 in my neighborhood would have to be pretty much pristine even in the summer.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Even if it looks great, it might start getting leaks and need seals, gaskets etc. How old are the tires and chain etc I would plan to spend more money on it after you buy it so that is something to consider too.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
You have no idea how it was maintained no matter what a seller tells you, he is trying to sell it. Always be prepared to go through the bike. It is your butt if you find a problem at 70mph.

·
Premium Member
2,074 Posts
Take it for a ride and see how it runs.
Check the compression if you can.
Post up some pics if you can.
some folks around here can spot any abnormalities with the bike.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Owner says, Last year it has had every gasket replaced, new cam chain and adjuster, rechrome, new battery and tires. Sorry I'm very worried about this selling under me. I haven't seen one for sell in 6 months. As soon as I sent pictures to another member he went in swiped it before me the last time I found a great scrambler.

But I'm going to look at it this weekend. It's in very great shape by the pics. I've owned various bikes from 70s to 2015 so I'm definitely going to check exhaust pressure, noises, vibs and leaks.

·
Registered
866 Posts
U have bike fever, be good to take a friend to talk you down if needed.

·
Registered
539 Posts
The bike is worth what you are willing to pay for it. Don't look at it as an investment. Look at whether or not it would bring you joy. Be careful, but in the end it's up to you.:)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Based on pricing in the DC metro area, where you can get $3,500 for a restored 350, that is a fair price.

·
Registered
482 Posts
If the condition is as you say....it's not an unreasonable asking price.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I would turn the tables, if it was your bike would you sell it for $2300? I wouldn't take $2300 for my 450.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well sad news, Bike looked amazing on the cosmetic side but the owner couldn't get it to start. I even took the battery to get charged up, fiddled with it for 2 hours and gave up. Owner was very firm about $2300 and would not go down. It spun and sounded like it was going to start a couple of times but not fire. The owner kept talking about how rough it's to start and such, Nothing he said to me in his text. Oh well, I'll keep on looking.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Interesting... so much for the "rebuild" to replace all gaskets, obviously not addressing other stuff along the way - or maybe not even the stuff he mentioned. You might be better off overall, can't buy something you can't hear run and ride

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Like the man says, it is wintertime. Ask yourself: how many hours would it take a bike shop to go through it and make it run? Take that figure and multiply it by $100 and subtract it from his asking price. Offer him the difference, hundred dollar bills can be quite persuasive.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Well sad news, Bike looked amazing on the cosmetic side but the owner couldn't get it to start. I even took the battery to get charged up, fiddled with it for 2 hours and gave up. Owner was very firm about $2300 and would not go down. It spun and sounded like it was going to start a couple of times but not fire. The owner kept talking about how rough it's to start and such, Nothing he said to me in his text. Oh well, I'll keep on looking.
Makes me think the points may be worn/defective(i.e. Daichi..)or the carbs. need servicing,etc.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yeah - for 2300 that sucker needs to start at least. Otherwise it's just art. OR - or . . . . he didn't have the switch on "run" . . . Come on, we've all done it.

Reactions: ancientdad
1 - 16 of 16 Posts