Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Friends,

Today I got my new to me CL running, but only on 1 cylinder. Right side exhaust pipe is cold and engine revs do not respond when lifting the right side carb throttle manually. A spark plug grounded to the engine shows no spark on the right side. I've tried adjusting those points a bit each way with no better result.

I did notice a weak spark on the right side with the ignition on and manually separating the points.

What would you suggest I do next? Obviously I'm just a mediocre mechanic. IMG_5545.jpg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On my BMW airhead, I can switch spark plug leads from left to right because of a "wasted spark" design.

Can I also do this on my 350? It may help diagnose where the problem lies.

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
NO...Two separate coils and points ignition systems...... one specific to each side....

You CAN swap which coil is being used for a particular side by swapping BOTH the points wire and the plug lead wire......

Feel free to phone for guidance...

Reactions: FrankS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Happened to me while I was riding, the - battery had come off completely. Before I noticed that, I could get it running but only on one cylinder. Once I reconnected the battery, everything worked.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Happened to me while I was riding, the - battery had come off completely. Before I noticed that, I could get it running but only on one cylinder. Once I reconnected the battery, everything worked.
Shukae, did this resolve your problem of getting low power at high speed?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good news with my bike - dirty points on the non-running side. Running now!

Just a bit of backfire at idle. How many turns out on the air/fuel mix screw, as starting point?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts