Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello and thanks in advance for your help. This part is completely missing from the bike and the only options seem to be generic replacements that do not appear to be at all identical to the original. Does anyone have experience adapting one of the commonly available replacements similar to this one;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-CNC-St...rentrq:28eb4bf91680ac3c3bbf660ffffe9caf|iid:1

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Vince

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
3,016 Posts
Are you sure that the K5 had a steering damper originally ?

AFAIK, the CB175 K3 was the last one with a steering damper, K4 onwards didn't have them. Assuming the CLs followed suit.

CMNSL parts diagrams show the damper fitted to the K4 and K5, but I think that this is just incorrect.

As usual, I'm sure someone will be able to confirm this, or correct me. :-?

EDIT Does beg the question, why on earth did a 175 need a steering damper in the first place, hardly likely to suffer from tank slappers accelerating through 80+ mph ...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the reply. No I am not sure at all, I rode the bike around my shop a bit today and looked where the mount(s) are and could only find a mounting lug under the tree and none under the tank on the frame, it looks like the horn is in the way of where it would mount. Doing 50mph plus the bike feels a little wig-waggy in the steering, a damper would be nice. But I think you are correct and it may not be necessary.
Thanks again,
Vince

·
Registered
35 Posts
Are you sure that the K5 had a steering damper originally ?

AFAIK, the CB175 K3 was the last one with a steering damper, K4 onwards didn't have them. Assuming the CLs followed suit.

CMNSL parts diagrams show the damper fitted to the K4 and K5, but I think that this is just incorrect.

As usual, I'm sure someone will be able to confirm this, or correct me. :-?

EDIT Does beg the question, why on earth did a 175 need a steering damper in the first place, hardly likely to suffer from tank slappers accelerating through 80+ mph ...
Yeah I've never seen a K3 or newer CB or CL with the factory damper fitted. I always wondered why the older ones had them (my dads 160 has one) because how fast are you really gonna go on a little 175 lol

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
CL175 k3 definitely had one, but they're not side mounted like the cb77 or the one the OP posted. They run through the steering stem and you adjust them by tightening the thread/ turning the knob on the top of the temple tree, they're supposed to help stop the wheel tracking into ruts on rough ground not deaden tank slappers
DSC_0076.jpg here's one from a cl175k3

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a million for that pic, I kept seeing that rod and knob for sale with some odd toothed spring and now I understand how it is a damper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts