Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 1971 CL175 K5 from a friend last month. He said the bike was running fine, became intermittent then stopped all together. Now, No spark .....

The bike has a Tytronic electronic ignition. The coil, stator, plugs, caps and regulator/rectifier all check out fine.

Tytronic ignitions do not get great reviews on the Web. I would take it off and go back to the standard points and condenser but the guy who rebuilt the engine said he put a CB175 cam in the bike and it may not work. He mumbled something about having to match the correct set of points to the new cam.

Any advise .... pos or neg would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
IMG_0774.jpg

chuck IMG_9842.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I can't see a reason why it couldn't go back to points - I'm not nearly up on 175s as many here are but I don't think there's a bit of difference between a CB and CL cam, particularly with respect to ignition. Pretty sure they use the same points and advancer too... but it will need a clutch adjuster before a running engine will take it anywhere anyway :D

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
Yes, CB/CL/SL 175, same engine, same cam.

They did fit several different brands of points backing plates, which take different contact breakers, so you need to get the correct set of points for the plate. CB200 parts also fit, although the advance mechanism has a different curve, not that that makes much difference in practice as long as full advance occurs on dynamic timing.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so Im feeling a little better about returning it back to normal ignition.

This is the points/plate I bought off eBay. The advancer on the bike however is missing the original collar. It was replaced with a magnetic collar which is in the photo. I found (ordered) a used advancer with an original collar but it will take 3-4 days to arrive. Once it all comes in I will put it all together and see what happens.

I took the stator out to blast and clean up the side covers. Does the stator have to be re-installed in any specific position? I have the wires coming off the top and running under the retainer clip behind the front sprocket.

IMG_0787.jpg

IMG_0789.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The stator has the timing mark on it so it needs to go back so the mark is at 10:00 I'm not sure how it was running at all since the timing is 60deg out View attachment 269480
I can't imagine that was like that when the replacement cam was fitted
You are correct .... I moved the timing mark to the 10:00 position and everything worked fine.

Update ......
We got the bike running and discovered the issue. The problem centered around the CAM someone installed from a different model. The OD of the mystery CAM is smaller than stock. That caused the Advancer to be loose on the shaft and wobble. The wobble caused the collar on the Advancer to dance around destroying the original electronic ignition. When we converted it back to Points and Condenser that wobble made it impossible to set the timing and points. To solve the wobble we used flat shim sheets to center the advancer and collar. Once the advancer was shimmed and stable we were able to set the points and time the engine.

Now that the engine is running I have started on the electrical system. There is a short somewhere in the system so I have started from the front and Im working back. I had to replace the right hand control anyway so that is where I started.

No matter how organized Id like it to be its still a mess.

IMG_0846.jpg

IMG_0852.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts