Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning, my center stand has a bent leg, and I believe I'll need to remove it and have it repaired.
It looks pretty straight forward to remove it. Detach spring and remove the bolt. Is it really this easy?
Any tips or tricks required to make it a successful repair? I read in another post putting pennies in the spring
will help manage it.

As always, i appreciate any help.

CL175 Center Stand.JPG

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
chaindrivecharlie, I'm not sure how the damage happened. I noticed the other day the bike was leaning to the left when on the center stand. The left leg is about an inch forward of the right one. It takes me a pretty good yank to get it up on the stand. Looking at the drawing, I'm missing the tang at the bottom. That's probably why it's been so hard to get it up on the stand. I'll take a photo of the damage tonight and post it. I think the "I'll weld for beer" option is what I'll go with.

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
You may find that the hardest part is getting the stand pivot shaft out of the frame. It is a flimsy hollow metal tube, and easily gets bent, and damaged on the ends, needing to be hammered out of the frame.

David Silvers do an excellent replacement part, machined out of the solid.

Old and new:

20180716_141817.jpg

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/CB175K6-SUPER-SPORT-1972/part_50175/

The parts diagram you posted doesn't look right for a K5 CL175. Should be like this:

https://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/honda-cl175-scrambler-1971-k5-usa-brake-pedal-main-stand-step_bigma000160f17_d952.gif

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Richard, Thank you very much for the new drawing. I'm going to take some time tonight and assess what I need to do. The manual (wrong) I have shows it bolted, but it looks more complicated from your drawing. It seems the rear brake is involved.
I really appreciate the help with this.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
It might not be as easy to do, but I've seen a long stout bar used as a pry bar to twist the one leg back to even with the other... it would require the bike to be held firmly and would require some creativity, but it can be done if it isn't horribly off

·
Registered
641 Posts
Adad's idea, is a very good idea, you just need a bar or pipe. Probally about 5 to 6 foot long, and a strong friend to hold bike up. Then have a friend who can weld to fix part missing.
Cheers.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think I'm going with the pipe idea to bend it back. it does not looked like it's cracked, just kinked. I'll apply a little heat to warm up the area before I straighten it out.
Here is a photo. Still not sure how it got bent. Thanks for all of the replies and ideas.

k4.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
Brad, did you look at that ebay link i posted. It would be a cheap fix and a complete center stand. It is not that hard to change out that part. You can remove pinch bolts, spread the pinch clamps with a screw driver. Put the bike on the sidestand, pull the cotter pin on the brake pedal. And tap the stand axel out, clean everything up. Then grease axel and stand hinge tubes well. Then reinstall all in reverse and you will have it done. I would clean and paint it too.

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
Brad, did you look at that ebay link i posted. It would be a cheap fix and a complete center stand. It is not that hard to change out that part. You can remove pinch bolts, spread the pinch clamps with a screw driver. Put the bike on the sidestand, pull the cotter pin on the brake pedal. And tap the stand axel out, clean everything up. Then grease axel and stand hinge tubes well. Then reinstall all in reverse and you will have it done. I would clean and paint it too.
That would get my vote too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts