Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
The headlight was burned out and after searching this forum as well as shopping for a new one it was apparent that no one makes a replacement anymore. A couple of posts on re-doing the light with LEDs or a generic replacement didn't seem like the best course for us. So after taking the old sealed beam out I was very happy to find that the back of the bulb, the reflector was metal and the "sealed" beam was actually a smaller bulb embedded in to the reflector with a phenolic compound. After cutting the wires off of the old bulb to later use as a wire harness, I cut the back of the approx 3/4" metal tube extension to expose the phenolic bedding for the burned out bulb. Broke all of the old bulb up using needle nose pliers and passing it through the tube we were left with a perfect reflector and fresnel lens, this bulb was OEM and marked as having been made bt "stanely". A trip to the auto parts store netted a 50w single filament bulb (fog lamp) that fit snug and perfectly into the tube on the reflector, 2 small tek screws made sure it was not going to vibrate out, we wired the harness up to the high beam only and it is working great. Here are a couple of pics we took, sorry for the bad pic composition. I will take some better pics as the light still needs some work, one of the mounting screws had been broken off and the tab bent back into the housing. My son gets to ride the bike for his last week before shipping out for 10 weeks at sea, when he returns for his 10 weeks off we will sort out the headlight and probably replace the rear shocks and the fork seals. The bike has been so much fun, I am so happy he chose an antique bike over a Ruckus or a Grom both of which he was considering.
Cheers,
Vince

Attachments

Reactions: Lefty

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello,
The headlight was burned out and after searching this forum as well as shopping for a new one it was apparent that no one makes a replacement anymore. A couple of posts on re-doing the light with LEDs or a generic replacement didn't seem like the best course for us. So after taking the old sealed beam out I was very happy to find that the back of the bulb, the reflector was metal and the "sealed" beam was actually a smaller bulb embedded in to the reflector with a phenolic compound. After cutting the wires off of the old bulb to later use as a wire harness, I cut the back of the approx 3/4" metal tube extension to expose the phenolic bedding for the burned out bulb. Broke all of the old bulb up using needle nose pliers and passing it through the tube we were left with a perfect reflector and fresnel lens, this bulb was OEM and marked as having been made bt "stanely". A trip to the auto parts store netted a 50w single filament bulb (fog lamp) that fit snug and perfectly into the tube on the reflector, 2 small tek screws made sure it was not going to vibrate out, we wired the harness up to the high beam only and it is working great. Here are a couple of pics we took, sorry for the bad pic composition. I will take some better pics as the light still needs some work, one of the mounting screws had been broken off and the tab bent back into the housing. My son gets to ride the bike for his last week before shipping out for 10 weeks at sea, when he returns for his 10 weeks off we will sort out the headlight and probably replace the rear shocks and the fork seals. The bike has been so much fun, I am so happy he chose an antique bike over a Ruckus or a Grom both of which he was considering.
Cheers,
Vince
Pic of the bike, I thought it showed on my profile but it doesnt

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Now there you go, thinking outside the box again!

Thanks for sharing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts