Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1971 CL175
Im getting ready to remove the engine to complete a top overhaul. All the engine mounts are out except the rear bottom bolt. The engine is being held up with a scissor jack. All the electrical wires, grounds are off. Whats the best way to remove the engine itself? Left side? Right side? Twist here? Lean over there? There is always some trick to get these things out. Thanks in advanced.
chuck

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Helps to remove the footrest bar and rear brake pedal, then the engine easily lifts out from the righthand side. Carbs removed first.

Tip it slightly forwards first, to clear the rear engine mounts, then straight out sideways, one person job. Taller CB200 engine is apparently more of a squeeze.

Refitting the engine is slightly more fiddly, as you have to be careful about routing the starter motor cable up through the frame behind the engine as it goes in.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys .....
Just like you suggested ..... I tilted it forward and slid it out the right side of the frame by myself. The footrest bar was already off. I disconnected the spring from the rear brake pedal and it fell far enough down to be out of the way.

Im not too worried about the frame putting it back in. Its a mess and has probably been painted 50 different times. If I like what I see in the engine I may strip the bike down to the frame and have it sandblasted and powder coated.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
...I may strip the bike down to the frame and have it sandblasted and powder coated.
If that's the case, then block the engine flat on its right side and lay the freshly-powdercoated frame over the engine when you start putting it back together, to avoid any damage. I've done it twice (don't ask me why I had to) with my 450 and it works great. Have a few motor mounts/bolts handy to secure it once the frame is over the engine, then stand it up and start assembling

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If that's the case, then block the engine flat on its right side and lay the freshly-powdercoated frame over the engine when you start putting it back together, to avoid any damage. I've done it twice (don't ask me why I had to) with my 450 and it works great. Have a few motor mounts/bolts handy to secure it once the frame is over the engine, then stand it up and start assembling
That would be the plan. I did the same thing to my CL77 when I restored it. Works great. Like I said the frame is a little rough. Not sure yet what Im going to do to the frame.

Dvj35HLQQTSH0%0avd6p5g.jpg

ZAcRNQWsS6CWt3l%8NcgNQ.jpg

3VlOhIb4QXW0ZTXF4D+McA.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the valve cover off today and it was dry as a bone. The engine hasn't run in awhile but I would have expected there to be some oil up there. Makes me question the oil pump. Hmmmmm

1 - 8 of 8 Posts