Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Starting Problem checklist

Picked up a 1971 CL 350 with a working 1971 CB 350 engine. Currently in parts as it needs to be cleaned. My plan is to clean it up and put it together for the summer then ride if hopefully. In the winter pull it apart again if needed and perhaps paint the frame. I have a lot of KM riding bikes, but very little working on them. I will put it together as stock and perhaps mod it if things go well. Here are a few pics to get things started. It came with the original tool kit and owners manual which I think was cool. I think everything is there, I just need to clean and put things back together for now. About 11K on the bike and engine.

ajhgjhg.jpg buyguyguygyu.jpg chkjkjkjjb.jpg djhjhgjhgjhgjhg.jpg ehgfhfhfgf.jpg fjgjgjgjh.jpg ghkjhkkjhkj.jpg hljljljljklk.jpg

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bike snowed in the shed so I started cleaning the engine and got my new battery in.

3152017a.jpg 3152017b.jpg

Crash

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bolts for the engine mount and exhaust were very rusted, wasn't sure they could be re used. After a few days with a light brush and CLR they are looking at lot better. The threads in all are now good, just one bolt that seems damaged so I will find a replacement.

cleanboltsa.jpg

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
New cables arrived.

cables2.jpg

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I see your nice looking exhaust and think that wow, you have a lot of opportunities with this purchase. I like my CL450K6 having had a 305 Scrambler years back plus even a 125 twin with a type one crank that came through the Canal Zone, scrambler as well.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Made some progress today. Lots of trips to the hardware store to find the right tools lol.

azb.jpg
azc.jpg azv.jpg azx.jpg muffleralmostdone.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Picked up a 1971 CL 350 with a working 1971 CB 350 engine. Currently in parts as it needs to be cleaned. My plan is to clean it up and put it together for the summer then ride if hopefully. In the winter pull it apart again if needed and perhaps paint the frame. I have a lot of KM riding bikes, but very little working on them. I will put it together as stock and perhaps mod it if things go well. Here are a few pics to get things started. It came with the original tool kit and owners manual which I think was cool. I think everything is there, I just need to clean and put things back together for now. About 11K on the bike and engine.

View attachment 149361
Looked at your pictures before but didn't notice until now that not only is your speedo in mph, but both of your gauges are in better than average shape for the age. The usual is for the redline area to be terribly faded and though yours isn't bright red, it's still pretty nice. Good for you - mine were far worse, which is why I looked for a refurbed set (which were from Canada!)

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Today we learned how to take off the rear wheel and to prop up the center stand first so there is enough room to get the tire out.

rearwheel1.jpg

rearewheel2.jpg

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fender, tool box, swing arm off today for cleaning.

321a.jpg 321b.jpg 321c.jpg 321d.jpg 321e.jpg 321f.jpg swingarm1.jpg swingarm2.jpg swingarm3.jpg

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
new air filters came in today. I will clean up the old and try to make a foam filter for them.

air1.jpg air2.jpg

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would like to see how they work compared to the paper, so the plan is yes, I just don't fully have the plan ... planned out yet :)

Crash

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got out to do a little cleaning on the swing arm and frame today.

frame1.jpg

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Weather too cold and I wanted to start testing my painting so I made a little box to leave in the sun to keep it warm and dry.

paint1.jpg

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure what the common practice is but I decided to use ear plugs for the holes that had threads when I go to paint. Seems to work well.

ear2.jpg

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Started scuffing the frame paint and it came off so easily I decided to take it all off. Still lots to do.

frameaa.jpg frameaaa.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Started scuffing the frame paint and it came off so easily I decided to take it all off. Still lots to do.
Coming along well for a guy doing his first build... it's funny how, once you get into it, the more you do, the more you find to do - and that has a direct effect on how well it turns out. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks. Yes, in my mind i was going to get this on the road quickly but every little thing needs attention so I think it might be a month or two. Got the swing arm clean, got the rust off and primed today.

swing1.jpg

Crash

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Raining today so I cleaned up my starter cable and ran it through a plastic weave sheath. Came out pretty nice, you could remove it and run new stuff if it got too dirty again.

starterwire.jpg

1 - 20 of 145 Posts