Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok some of you have saw my other post about my cam chain breaking, and now time to fix. I have the head pulled off now and I am trying to get my valves out to see if they are bent or not. I am having trouble getting the valve spring/torsion bar out. Any advice

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Once the cam bearings are removed from the head and the cams out, the torsion bars are retained by a 6mm bolt. Remove the bolts and carefully tap outward on the inner ends of the torsion bar holders (tubes) inside the head where the ends of the bars in their holders meet. The outer ends of the bar, where the 6mm bolt held it in place, will come away from the head surface and eventually pop off the dowel pin that the bolt goes into to hold them

torsion bar.jpg torsion bar2.jpg

Did you get the copy of the FSM? if not, go here

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, that’s what I envisioned but didn’t want to start beating it out until I confirmed on here. Thanks for the advice.

Is there a good head rebuild thread here in the 450 section?

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I suppose if you searched Google (not here, the search feature here isn't very good) for CB450K3 (or K4) head rebuild with Honda Twins added to the end of the search sentence, you might find one. It's really not difficult, check the valve guides for valve fit, the valves for dished sealing surface, the seats for any excess wear, cracks or damage (if it was running okay before, not all of that is very likely), replace the valve stem seals, inspect the followers and cam lobes, and inspect the cam chain guides for sprocket wear and sloppiness. There are 2 different pairs of torsion bars, marked A and B - they go on opposite corners of the head, don't interchange them

1 - 4 of 4 Posts