Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Houston, we are go for launch. I picked up a 1971 CL450 a few weeks ago with the intention of giving it a quick tune up and riding it around until winter when I could tear it down and give it a refresh. The bike is pretty complete but has been sitting for about 25 years (the warranty date on the battery is 1986) Things were progressing fine for the first couple of weeks. I got the carbs all cleaned, changed the fork oil, set the points (with a borrowed battery) and valve clearance. Then I took the exhaust off to get to the swingarm and foung black, gritty goop inside the RH port. No sense in screwing around. I pulled the engine and am now in progress on what I'm hoping ends up only being a top end rebuild.
Let me be up front: I do not have the money or inclination to restore this bike. I like to ride my bikes, not worry about them being dirty or rained on. I have a ton of respect for the guys here that do full-on restos, but that isn't me. I want it to be a good runner, reliable (as can be expected) and nice looking, in that order. While I'm waiting for money and parts I plan to give everything a good cleaning and maybe paint the tank, fork ears, side covers and maybe even the fenders. My chrome is pretty thrashed and I think modern touches on vintage bikes look cool.
So here we go...
[attachment=1:1lcn41q9]new ft34.JPG[/attachment:1lcn41q9][attachment=0:1lcn41q9]new rex34.JPG[/attachment:1lcn41q9]

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I posted some of this in the 450 section, sorry for the duplication but I wanted to start an official "project log" since I now feel like I'm starting an official project. Here's some findings inside the engine:[attachment=2:2r1v6r6e]explode1.JPG[/attachment:2r1v6r6e]
Both pistons look like this-[attachment=3:2r1v6r6e]pistons 4.JPG[/attachment:2r1v6r6e]
Chewed up guide wheel from the cam chain being loose- [attachment=1:2r1v6r6e]chewed wheel.JPG[/attachment:2r1v6r6e]
Another victim of a lazy PO (that's a dog hair, incase you were wondering)- [attachment=0:2r1v6r6e]rlr teeth.JPG[/attachment:2r1v6r6e]
Seriously, how hard is it to loosen and then re-tighten the cam chain adjuster once in a while? The bike only has 12k miles on it and the adjuster works fine, I just don't think it was ever checked. Now I get to buy all sorts of new parts. I guess that's why they're fully automatic now.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
In reply to your music thread, and as nasty as that engine looks, I hope you like "grunge" :lol:

GB :mrgreen:
Wow... :roll:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
Take a (bad) joke Sally. Jeesh.

GB :mrgreen:
It was right up my alley, humor wise. Must've used the wrong smiley. Here you go- :lol:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Starting to bum out about my rebuild. The exhaust valves are shot for sure, the intakes look pretty good but who knows until they're inspected by a pro. It will almost certainly need boared out, which means new OS pistons and rings. Turns out parts for these engines are not cheap or easy to come by. It's starting to look more like a collection of worn out $100 parts than a bike.
I almost didn't even start this project. I have plenty of experience, that's not the issue, it's just that I have no budget. I suppose I could just let the bike sit around in pieces indefinately but that's not my style. I wanted a bike to ride, not one to have sit around in a heap for years.
I dunno, maybe I'll feel better about it tomorrow. Sorry to harsh everyone's mellow :? .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts