Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I got my hands on a 1971 Honda CL350. And I got it pretty much for free. I would really like to get this thing up and running. However I'm starting at ground zero for a couple of reasons:

1. Its been sitting in storage for years, but before that it sat outside in the elements, uncovered for years. So its not in "great" shape

2. I've never worked on bikes by myself. Gonna use this as a learning tool.

I realize i'm in over my head but to me thats kinda the fun part. I know this is a loooong term project and I will go through a lot of pain. But I'm really excited about it.

Here are a couple of pics when I picked it up with the gf:

This is gonna take a while for me but I'll keep updating

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Red Sea Pedestrian said:
Long story short, I got my hands on a 1971 Honda CL350. And I got it pretty much for free. I would really like to get this thing up and running. However I'm starting at ground zero for a couple of reasons:

1. Its been sitting in storage for years, but before that it sat outside in the elements, uncovered for years. So its not in "great" shape

2. I've never worked on bikes by myself. Gonna use this as a learning tool.

I realize i'm in over my head but to me thats kinda the fun part. I know this is a loooong term project and I will go through a lot of pain. But I'm really excited about it.
That's a nice find. I think it should clean up nicely without a lot of $$.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I believe you'll find that is a '72.

I've got the exact same one! Score!

Looks like a good place to start. Show your progress pix!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JeyLux said:
I believe you'll find that is a '72.

I've got the exact same one! Score!

Looks like a good place to start. Show your progress pix!
right.... manufactured on 11/71 would make it a 72 model... i'm a dolt :oops:

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Looks like they are both keepers. ;)
If the engine isnt frozen I think you will be surprised at how much fun you are going to have working on this bike. Keep us posted.
Don Slicker

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Bike doesn't look that bad, you could go a whole lot worse!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
You do realize, of course, that as soon as you fix it up and sign over the title to her, she'll dump your sorry butt, right??

:? :shock: :eek: :( :cry:

Oh, and if you Search this site, you'll find a couple of links to two different official Honda 350 Manuals (I'm getting tired of posting them).

Good luck....

Incidentally, I'll take that luggage rack off your hands if you don't want it.
Depending on your location, I'll even help you rebuild it (the bike, not the girlfriend) to get my hands on it (the rack, not the girlfriend). I already have one woman, only a luntic would want more than that !!!!!

Just kidding, of course - she looks like a nice girl.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
tbpmusic said:
only a luntic would want more than that !!!!
That's ENTIRELY FALSE my good sir... ;)

As for the bike, nice score! I've seen and ridden worse looking things in my life... ;) :lol: :lol:

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:lol: you guys crack me up. Yes the girl is a keeper for sure. Not to mention her family are the ones that gave me the bike... yes yes i know... you don't even have to say it.

The engine is not frozen. I thre some WD40 in there, let it sit for a bit and it turns. Next up is the compression test and then the leak down test if necessary... i hope not though.

to be honest, i don't want the luggage rack, but she wants to keep it so I'm kinda obligated. The plan is: if i get this thing going, I'm gonna go grab a cb350 somewhere and cafe that bastard. this thing will remain stock.. which is not a bad thing at all, I love the look of the CL. Imagine my surprise; she told me her family had some 1970s Honda sitting in storage. I assumed it was the CB. Then I walk in and see the dual pipes... giddiness ensued.

I also decided that I'm gonna do my best with the carbs and pray for the best. Any rebuild kits specifically you guys would recommend? there are so many online.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Red Sea Pedestrian said:
:lol: you guys crack me up. Yes the girl is a keeper for sure. Not to mention her family are the ones that gave me the bike... yes yes i know... you don't even have to say it.

The engine is not frozen. I thre some WD40 in there, let it sit for a bit and it turns. Next up is the compression test and then the leak down test if necessary... i hope not though.

to be honest, i don't want the luggage rack, but she wants to keep it so I'm kinda obligated. The plan is: if i get this thing going, I'm gonna go grab a cb350 somewhere and cafe that bastard. this thing will remain stock.. which is not a bad thing at all, I love the look of the CL. Imagine my surprise; she told me her family had some 1970s Honda sitting in storage. I assumed it was the CB. Then I walk in and see the dual pipes... giddiness ensued.

I also decided that I'm gonna do my best with the carbs and pray for the best. Any rebuild kits specifically you guys would recommend? there are so many online.
You swine !!!
I'll bet she's rich too, you rat bastard.....

A pretty girl and a free bike !!
Is there no justice in this life??

Don't worry too much about carb kits until you make sure the diaphragms are still ok.
If they're bad, you got problems worse than desiding which carb kit to buy.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
leethal said:
I never wrote that. Looks like someone has their "quoting" wrong after too many swills of cough syrup....
Hey...who doesn't enjoy a few 'Flaming Homers' :D

it is weird though that your name was shown and not Reds...

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
your GF sounds like my wife. I picked up a 500/4 with a back rest and rack and she said i had to keep it.

it didn't really fit the lines of the cafe seat though. uh oh!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JeyLux said:
your GF sounds like my wife. I picked up a 500/4 with a back rest and rack and she said i had to keep it.

it didn't really fit the lines of the cafe seat though. uh oh!
i'm willing to concede on this one... but only this one ;)
all things considered if she wanted pink tassels i'd prolly have to oblige. BUT NO HELLO KITTY STICKERS!!! That's where i draw the line

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mini-update:
did the compression test

Results:

1st attempt (just some WD40 in each cylinder): Right Cylinder 130psi, Left Cylinder: 100psi

Put a little motor oil in each cylinder and did it again(my leg hurts): Right Cylinder 170psi, Left Cylinder: 160psi

As advised I'm gonna proceed with trying to get this thing running and hope that i can do the compression test again later and adjust the engine. Pics to follow tomorrow of some stuff.

Thoughts welcome.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Red Sea Pedestrian said:
mini-update:
did the compression test
1'st attempt (just some WD40 in each cylinder): Right Cylinder 130psi, Left Cylinder: 100psi

Put a little motor oil in each cylinder and did it again(my leg hurts): Right Cylinder 170psi, Left Cylinder: 160psi
Thoughts welcome.
My thoughts -

That compression is not good at all. It would surprise me if you get it started at all.
This assumes you did it with a warm engine, throttle wide open, NO CHOKE.
If this is the case, you're looking at a top end rebuild, or you're just wasting time and money.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts