Honda Twins banner

1971 CL 175 refusing to start or even cough after rebuild!!!

3K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  Bikenutmart 
#1 ·
Hi, I have just finished a complete rebuild of my 1971 K5 CL 175, it looks beautiful and I am really pleased with the look of it, but am tearing out what hair I have trying to get it running, firstly I consider myself to be a reasonable mechanic, having restored quite a few classic bikes and a couple of old MGs, I have a nicely equipped workshop and work cleanly and methodically(or so I thought!!) the engine was running reasonably well before the stripdown.
The kickstart pinion was u/s this being replaced and now working fine, I also replaced the clutch along with all gaskets and seals. the bores were excellent only needing a light hone, I cleaned up the pistons and reused the rings as they were within spec. I cleaned up the head and lightly lapped the valves in, fitting a couple of new stem seals, all the parts were put back in their original locations. I have double checked the valve clearances set to 3thou with T mark aligned then 360 degrees and other cylinder checked and both correct. I have a lovely fat spark at both plugs which are new Denso X24FS-U. Points gap is 15 thou, and timing correct on both cylinders, points breaking at F mark on both cylinders. I haven't got a compression tester but putting thumb over plug hole and cranking there is a fair bit of pressure which seems fairly equal. Also with the air filters off there is a fair suck on the carbs when cranking. The only thing I will say is that there doesn't seem to be a great deal of fuel on the plugs after cranking with the throttle open, I did rebuild the carbs with rebuild kits from Vietnam I think, I did this carefully, are these kits deemed ok? I did keep all the old parts from the carbs. Cant think what else to say really, except that after 2 afternoons in the garage I had to walk away and have a beer (or two) !! Please any suggestions really appreciated. Ride Safe Mart.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.