Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a mint, all original 1971 CL175 K5 with 2100 miles. Everything worked fine when I got it - but after a few rides I noticed the low beam was dead. I started researching a replacement for the sealed beam light - part number 33120-307-671. To my surprise, they're not that easy to find. Tonight the high beam didn't turn on. I turned off the bike, restarted and it came on. But then it went off and now it's totally dead. I thought maybe it was a short, but I looked in the bucket and everything looks perfect and clean.

Is it normal for these bulbs to just go like that? I was expecting there to be hundreds of options for a replacement bulb, but I'm not able to find any other option. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks!

IMG_5357.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Am I missing something? I went to Honda Parts Direct, it's not available anywhere? "33100-307-671 HEADLIGHT ASSY. (12V 35/25W) (NOT AVAILABLE) Not Available"

Thanks for the compliments on the bike, I'm located in Utica, NY.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Since the bike probably sat for some time before you got it, combined with you saying the headlight worked for a while after you turned the key off and back on, I'd be inclined to check the ignition switch internal contacts. The switch comes apart pretty easily (little tabs on the back of the switch body bend inward to hold the board with the contacts where the wires are soldered on) and the contacts internally may well have some corrosion on them, causing them to lose connection after it gets warm. Aftermarket OEM-style replacement switches aren't too expensive if it can't be cleaned up. Take the headlight out of the case and test it on a battery, then if it's okay, it could be the ignition switch (or the right handlebar switch)

https://www.oldbikebarn.com/honda-68-71-cb350k-69-71-cb750k-ignition-switch.html

https://proformancecycle.myshopify.com/products/honda-cb175-cb350-cb450-cb750-ignition-switch-35100-303-007-35100-292-003

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Tom - I will definitely test the headlight on the battery. Reason I didn't do that immediately is because at one point, when I knocked on the headlight, it turned on again. But that could be a coincidence.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Am I missing something? I went to Honda Parts Direct, it's not available anywhere? "33100-307-671 HEADLIGHT ASSY. (12V 35/25W) (NOT AVAILABLE) Not Available"

Thanks for the compliments on the bike, I'm located in Utica, NY.
honda parts direct has a screwed up part number, notice 33120-307-671 is the same as the WHOLE head light assembly, but if you go to a 1971 cb175 k5, it shows a different number for the head light only 33120-292-673, I just ordered one since my low beam just went out

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Kennedy - Well this is interesting. It must be a different part that fits the same bike? I researched that new part number and the sealed unit sure looks the same as 33120-307-671. Please keep me posted, and let me know if you end up getting the correct light.

It's ironic how things turned out. I just got the new bike delivered a couple hours ago from USHIP. Since the new one isn't running (dead battery and frozen carbs), the first thing I did is remove the headlight. Now I can ride the yellow one. Tom, turns out the headlight WAS the problem. I swapped it out, and all works fine. By the ways, the new orange bike has only 1700 miles!

IMG_5444.jpg

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found the yellow one about a month ago on Craigslist, around the Boston area. A week later I saw the orange one on eBay, and I couldn't bare the thought of a nicer/lower mileage one being out there. I figured "why not", I will keep the nicer of the two. Now that I have them both side by side, the yellow one is considerably nicer. The orange one doesn't run because the carbs are stuck, but I don't think it will be serious at all. I will probably sell it in the spring. I paid about 2k for each. I really scored on the yellow, and I ended up getting the orange one directly (he pulled it off ebay). The orange wasn't running, so I probably paid a bit too much. But based on what I'm seeing, they are probably worth $3000 - $3500 in this condition.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Kennedy - Well this is interesting. It must be a different part that fits the same bike? I researched that new part number and the sealed unit sure looks the same as 33120-307-671. Please keep me posted, and let me know if you end up getting the correct light.

It's ironic how things turned out. I just got the new bike delivered a couple hours ago from USHIP. Since the new one isn't running (dead battery and frozen carbs), the first thing I did is remove the headlight. Now I can ride the yellow one. Tom, turns out the headlight WAS the problem. I swapped it out, and all works fine. By the ways, the new orange bike has only 1700 miles!

View attachment 265228
got the new one from partsdirect, same as original, fits and works great

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kennedy - I'm glad to hear that. I ordered a NOS part from eBay "NEW VINTAGE AFTERMARKET HEADLIGHT BULB MANY HONDA 175-450 MODELS 33120-292-673". I thought for sure it was the right light because it looks identical from the pictures, but the thing is a totally different size (too big) so it will not work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts