Honda Twins banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a well preserved but not very well running '71 CB450. I'd like to get an original owner's manual for it, and can't even figure out what it would look like if I saw one-- I did get a pdf of a '72 owner's manual. If anyone has a '71 owners manual could you tell me what the cover looks like and what the date is on the back? Thanks, Mitch

·
Registered
170 Posts
I paid way to much for my 74 manual, but i got it on eBay and it was spiral bound so it is super handy. Here’s what I’m seeing on eBay for you...all used but not too bad...maybe ask someone to get it for you as an Xmas present!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I paid way to much for my 74 manual, but i got it on eBay and it was spiral bound so it is super handy. Here’s what I’m seeing on eBay for you...all used but not too bad...maybe ask someone to get it for you as an Xmas present!

Nah, he doesn't want a Clymer manual... unless he needs a paperweight. :lol: Actually, he was asking about an owner's manual. The real question is, why did your picture upload work? All the other pictures on the site are missing... must have something to do with Tapatalk or mobile upload

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think I screen shotted the wrong search results haha... See below, I am seeing two owners manuals for ya.

As for how I upload the photos: the website uploads never worked for me, so I upload photos only on mobile (Tapatalk). Usually after the fact, because typing on a touch screen is miserable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of the replies--
My bike's date of manufacture is 12/1970 so I'm assuming it's a 1971 model year so if I understand correctly that's the K4 version
I don't mind paying for an original owner's manual but I want to get the one that would have actually come with the bike if you guys can help me ID that.
The one with the yellow strip across the bottom has a 1971 copyright or print date on it so I'm wondering if that's the right one-- it would have been printed after my bike was manufactured?
If the yellow stripe version is the right one for sure I'll pick it up on Ebay now.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
The model is in the first two digits of the frame number, after CB450 or CL450; K3 is 40, K4 is 41, and K5 is 50.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK that was helpful-- it's a "41" so as you explained a '71 model year and K4
I found a manual on eBay and it's on the way
I know this is a can of worms but for a general restoration what do you guys like as a shop manual?
Mitch

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I have two different copies of the Clymer's, and an original Honda Service manual with adenda; I rarely look at the Clymer's.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK-- I downloaded the Honda service manual from the CMC website--it covers like 1968-75 and has addenda as you mention-- is that the manual you're referring to? I assume there is only one Honda CB450 service manual published by Honda? The one I downloaded has a blue and white "cover" but the inside looks much more "vintage!"

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Mine is gray, and bound with a plastic ring-like binder, but it's probably the same. If yours is copyright Honda, then that's the right one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine is gray, and bound with a plastic ring-like binder, but it's probably the same. If yours is copyright Honda, then that's the right one.

OK- sorry but I'm still not clear on what an original Honda service manual covering my 1971 cb450 K4 would look like? I have the right owner's manual but interested in the Honda Service manual too

If someone has one could you shoot a photo and post or IM me with it-- there are a couple on ebay but I'm not sure it's the right one

·
Registered
170 Posts
OK- sorry but I'm still not clear on what an original Honda service manual covering my 1971 cb450 K4 would look like? I have the right owner's manual but interested in the Honda Service manual too

If someone has one could you shoot a photo and post or IM me with it-- there are a couple on ebay but I'm not sure it's the right one
I’d need to see a picture of the one you are referencing to say for sure. Have you googled around for the K4 manual? I have a 74 k7 and that manual is ALL over the internet. You will want one that has walk through on, for example, disassembling the engine, etc.

Also try here, which I found via google! http://www.hondatwins.net/forums//index.php/f-54.html

My Hynes manual has at times provides verification for my questions on my rebuild, but I really didn’t need it. I use: Honda service manual, google, and the Honda twins forum. ;)

Phil

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
The only service manual I know is for the K0, and has section 7. SUPPLEMENT OF CB/CL450 K1~K7 at the back. The front cover looks like this:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts