Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the bike and got it home with frame, engine, and six boxes. Having assembled the bike, I know all the parts are there and have purchased some additional parts needed to complete the project. The bike/engine probably sat around a few years; the engine is not froze, so that's good news.

Carbs have been cleaned and new kit parts installed; new Dyna coils came with the bike and I'm working on installing the wiring harness. In the mean time, I'm wondering what the condition of the cylinders, valve train, and clutch is. What would be your recommendations? Throw a fiber optic camera down the cylinders, assess wall condition, lube well and start it? Tear it down and rebuild? What is a good source of supply for parts needed for the teardown?

Any suggestions you have will be appreciated.

Curt

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Fuel tank

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Get a compression reading from both cylinders and see.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Did you get any information at all about the engine condition from the PO? With the cylinders painted black, it's sure to have been apart before. I'd pull the valve covers and look at the cams to get an idea of the condition of the followers, then adjust the cam chain and valves and run a compression test before I'd try to start it (unless you know more about the engine). I'm assuming you've put fresh oil in it (engine was likely drained if out of the frame)

EDIT: Sniper! :lol:

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Good start! I'd look at the cam followers to make sure they aren't dished out too bad. Remove clutch cover and look for bits of stuff in there. Compression test. Clean oil spinner, oil change. Move rear sets up. And ride. Go from there.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
^^^that stuff too.

and since you're going with rear sets, if you're careful you can cut away the original mount for the front footpeg from the section that mounts the sidestand. Since my bike is going to forever be as I've modified it, I had my welder friend attach it permanently to the frame (but the main motor mount bolts will definitely hold it anyway)

Red Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Nice looking bike, I love another DOHC project. Unless you have a good feel from the PO, I would pull the head and jugs just to make sure. It really isn't that big of a deal and will give you peace of mind.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The PO received in boxes as well; he did say he tried to start it and only got it to cough. Good point, JamesPal, about going a little deeper.

Thank you all for your comments and recommendations!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts