Honda Twins banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright...so where do i even start...picked this beauty up this past february...never dealt with a bike before, this is my first bike...sooo i picked this up from my buddies boss for $200 bucks...just been there for god knows how long...the look im going for is very industrial...i want the bike to look like i dont care about it but i really do care...

brought it back to my place not running...me and my buddy played around with the carbs for literally 25 mins and it started right up!!...so right after that the tear down began oh and of course had to get drag bars first too

ok enough of messing around...got right to the frame and started stripping it

the frame completely stripped and alot of wire wheeling later...since the frame was bare i decided to put in the all ballz tapered bearing into the neck

on to the tank...gotta strip the paint first

final of the knee dents

after painting the engine and putting things back together...somewhat coming back together

decided to rewire the wiring harness since the old plastic stuff was sooo brittle and basically just breaking apart

i used this silicone tape to rewire it...this stuff is gold!!! it bonds to itself leaves no residue and also better then electrical tape

picked up some cb900/1100 shocks for about 50-60 bucks..decided to rebuild and paint...dont have pics of the final product of the paint job yet...havent put em on the bike yet

next up was the wheels...i wanted to do something crazy and different....day one since i got the bike i know that i wanted white wall tires....tried sooo hard to find some white wall rear tires but couldnt find anything in the 18" size...apparently everything is discontinued.....so i opted out for those white wall toppers...there ok..they do stick out someplaces, nothing a little rubber cement cant fix...but as far as the fronts i did get real white wall tires...the only regret so far i have on this build is not being able to find real white wall tires for the rear...but either way heres some pics of the wheels

without whitewall toppers

with whitewall toppers

and after alot of masking and taping...here is my final outcome of the wheels...incase you guys are wondering all of this is spray paint..the blue is "global blue" and ofcourse the black is just plain flat black

oh and also i have 06-07 gsxr switches which worked out very well with the help from you guys...especially 66sprint..thanks again steve.... and tarozzi universal rearsets

now im trying to figure out how to make my rearsets control my rear brake...got any ideas fellas?? kinda different for the 450

and as far as the seat goes, i got something in the works just building it right now...ill def post up pics of that when im done..

if you guys have anything helpful to say pleaseeeeeeee let me know...this is my first bike and i rather hear about it now before i patch this thing up....im sure i messed up alottttt of things and hopefully u guys can point em out

thanks
-Al

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Al, I do have some suggestions to improve the rear brake set-up......PM me your e-mail and I'll scan a drawing to you....

·
Registered
242 Posts
awsome, those knee dents are pretty sweet, i wish you had some picture documentation on doing them though

·
Registered
97 Posts
thats a really cool idea. dont think ive seen that before. i just tore my bike down, it was pretty much the exact same color wise and stuff. when you took off the center stand and brake lever was that bolt bent?? mine was really hard to get off and i didnt know if other people had that problem too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
66Sprint said:
Al, I do have some suggestions to improve the rear brake set-up......PM me your e-mail and I'll scan a drawing to you....
hey steve
pmed u my email...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
monseraat said:
awsome, those knee dents are pretty sweet, i wish you had some picture documentation on doing them though
hey thanks monseraat...i only got couple pics of doing the dents...i just drew with a marker wheere i wanted to start and stop and just hammered away until i was happy, as far as the edges go i took a piece of wook with a flat edge and hammered around the edges so it was more noticable. then ofcourse i hammered more in the middle. if you are thinking about doing dents and smoothing them out id def recommend hammering with a nylon or a rubber hammer as the metal hammers leave the circle marks, but i used the normal hammer since i wanted it to look that way

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chubbs899 said:
thats a really cool idea. dont think ive seen that before. i just tore my bike down, it was pretty much the exact same color wise and stuff. when you took off the center stand and brake lever was that bolt bent?? mine was really hard to get off and i didnt know if other people had that problem too.
hey chubbs
it was quite easy to take the main center bolt. i cant even imagine the trouble i wouldve went thru if that rod was bend. the only thing im worried about right now since i have the rearsets is that the brake lever also acted like a spacer so i have to go find a spacer so its back to normal, i doubt it should make a difference when it comes to the center stand since the center stand is between the pinch brackets, but im just weird like that

-Al

·
Registered
659 Posts
I saw the product you had to start with, and the price you paid and thought...WOW ! A perfect bike for a full restoration.

This is me after I scrolled down to see what you did.....

Just kidding......that's not really me.... :?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Not hating on your project or anything, it just makes me sick when a very nearly 40 year old, perfectly healthy and unmolested gas tank gets beat to death with a hammer...

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Well, As much as I'd agree it's a shame to hammer on a pristine tank, He didn't...
(Check the pics....The tank was dented when he got it)......
I really have no room to speak anyway....I've cut up brand new parts to achieve the effect I wanted....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RicH2 said:
I saw the product you had to start with, and the price you paid and thought...WOW ! A perfect bike for a full restoration.

This is me after I scrolled down to see what you did.....

Just kidding......that's not really me.... :?
i dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing...lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sharkmonkey said:
Not hating on your project or anything, it just makes me sick when a very nearly 40 year old, perfectly healthy and unmolested gas tank gets beat to death with a hammer...

trust me when i say this, but you have no idea how long i contemplated not doing anything to the bike besdies clean it up and just ride it the way it was....dont get me wrong...the bike loooooked beautiful when i got it, but after much debate and talking to my friends for the price i got it for i figured id might as well make it the way that i wanted....but like i said, i looooooovveeeeeeeeee the way the old cb's look....hence why i was looking for one, but i figured even if i messed this bike up, and i mean completely messed it up it was a $200 dollar mistake

im definately iwth you sharkmonkey...no reason to go mess up a beautiful bike but the original pictures do it more justice then there was...the first 2 pics look great in the pictures but honestly it was more rusted then anything else...i mean i did pick it out of the snow..lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
johnnyc14 said:
How did you strip the paint off the frame, did you sue a chemical stripper there like on the tank?
hey johnny
i used about 5 wire wheeels...lol...the chemical stripper is great, but the wire wheel leaves the nice metal look

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
66Sprint said:
Well, As much as I'd agree it's a shame to hammer on a pristine tank, He didn't...
(Check the pics....The tank was dented when he got it)......
I really have no room to speak anyway....I've cut up brand new parts to achieve the effect I wanted....
hey steve
btw i dont know if i misspelled my email to you, but i never got your schematics for your rear brake assembly...ive been thinking about this for a little bit, and someone said why not just use a clutch cable since the older 450's did use that for the front brake(or something similar to that), but you are god when it comes to bikes, so i would love to see your idea and hopefully incorporate it into the design of this bike

thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ah I missed the right side dent in the second picture. You're right they're not THAT costly and I guess if you're in a hurry you do what you have to. Did you end up filling that one or did you get it worked out?

I'd love to see the rear brake schematic myself, I'm going to do something different with the rearsets on my 360 and was thinking of going cable also. The peg side would be pretty easy, but I hadn't figured out where or how to fasten the cable on the swingarm. I figure if it's good enough for the front brake, it's good enough for the rear brake too and I can ditch a lot of heavy mechanism on the way.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sharkmonkey said:
Ah I missed the right side dent in the second picture. You're right they're not THAT costly and I guess if you're in a hurry you do what you have to. Did you end up filling that one or did you get it worked out?

I'd love to see the rear brake schematic myself, I'm going to do something different with the rearsets on my 360 and was thinking of going cable also. The peg side would be pretty easy, but I hadn't figured out where or how to fasten the cable on the swingarm. I figure if it's good enough for the front brake, it's good enough for the rear brake too and I can ditch a lot of heavy mechanism on the way.
i didnt fill any of the dents...its kinda the look i was going for just something ratty and some cafe. i still do have other tanks as well...when i bought the bike from the previous owner he also ended up giving me about 5-6 huge boxes filled with parts and extra tanks for all different bikes...anywhere from honda to suzuki to moped parts...i still have to sort through everything

yea i still havent gotten an email from steve about his drawing

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
I'll send the drawing as soon as I finish it, but basicly, you just rebend the lever that goes on the wheel so it comes out further to the right (away from the hub), mount it downwards, and shorten the torque stay ( I just make a new one out of 1X 3/16" aluminum strap .... polishes up nicely too)..... Then shorten the adjustable "rod" to fit from from the rebent lever to the brake pedal..(Outside and below the swingarm)....
Rotating the entire drum (shorter torque stay) gives a better angle for the brake lever to "pull" against and as all parts are shorter or lighter, it's a "racey" mod.....You may have to grind a spline or two off the brake-camshaft to allow for the "new" angles....
The drawing will eventually show it better, but I think you get the idea.... :D Steve

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
soooo still not even close to being done yet...but what are my options as far as exhausts go? i need something to clear the rearsets? am i only looking at something custom made now? or can i just get baffles for the headers?

my rearsets are in the stock passenger peg location

1 - 19 of 19 Posts