Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I took the bike out yesterday and a few blocks from home I heard a noise and then instantly lost the use of my rear brake, the pedal locked in place. I got home to discover that the retaining bolt which holds the outer case of the drum brake at the 6 o'clock position had fallen out. The brake's outer case had rotated to 12 o'clock, the rear brake rod had been pulled and bent around the axel (see photo).

So, I've now detached the brake rod from the arm and expected the drum's outer case to move freely again, but its completely locked up in the 12 o'clock position.

Any ideas what has occurred and what I need to do fix it?

Thanks for the help, JB

Bicycle wheel Tire Spoke Bicycle tire Automotive tire

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd say ya gotta get that wheel off and inspect everything. That brake rod is toast already, so you don't have to worry about trying to save it (it's already a goner).

Tire Automotive tire Spoke Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Loosen the axle nut and it will turn.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks all. I took the rear axle out and the brake released from being stuck at 12o'clock. I removed and inspected the brake, straightened the rod and put everything back together. Everything seems alright.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey James, if the rod is straightened out, is it still usable? Are you saying its toast because it's been compromised and shouldn't be used anymore for safety reasons?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts